DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Color vs. Magic Bullet vs Natress (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/471423-color-vs-magic-bullet-vs-natress.html)

Robert Turchick January 21st, 2010 01:50 PM

Color vs. Magic Bullet vs Natress

Considering getting Magic Bullet Looks (downloaded trial) but already have the Natress plugins which seem to do a lot of the same filtering/color manipulation but they are only for FCP and I use AE as well. Also have Color which I know can create some of the similar look/feel tweaks though I haven't had time to dig into it yet.

Any opinions? Advantages to Looks? Seems simple to use but unless there's something "magical" that I'm missing....can't see spending the extra money.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Mathieu Ghekiere January 21st, 2010 04:43 PM

I can't comment on the Natress Filters, but the strong point of Magic Bullet Looks is that it gives you high quality looks very quickly and without much effort. Although it has to render a long time though... but the quality of the footage is often very nice.
Best keep it under control. It's easy to become a parody of yourself. It's awful sometimes seeing young kids make the worst skateboard videos ever and putting it full of Magic Bullet filters, thinking they made a professional product.

With the newest versions you can also very easily and quickly make your own looks and change existing presets.

Color is a great product, but I'm not that good of a colourist (yet?) that I know how to get the kind of footage I can get with Magic Bullet, although I would really like to know. I'm getting better at Color, but for quick things, Magic Bullet is worth it.
Also, with Color you have to render to Apple Prores (or at least, you're not able to render in XDCAM) and do round-tripping, where with Magic Bullet you can work inside FCP.

Is it worth the money to you? Only you know.

Tim Dashwood January 21st, 2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Turchick (Post 1475362)
...FCP and I use AE as well.

DVShade Easylooks works in FCP, Motion and AE on the mac.

EasyLooks - Features

Simon Wyndham January 22nd, 2010 07:23 AM

Color is more involved. Magic Bullet Looks will give you a result quickly, but they are horrendously overused. In fact using Magic Bullet can actually harm job prospects. A few years ago when I used to use it that's what happened to me. if you create a reel for editing I would suggest creating looks from scratch using Color.

Once you know how Color works it is actually very quick and easy to create looks and grade. The only real issue is that your workflow needs to be really organised and you can't really just jump in and start experimenting mid-edit very easily.

The Nattress sets aren't really equivalents of MB or Color. They work with FCP or Color to give certain effects that you can combine and dial in.

Robert Turchick January 22nd, 2010 10:57 AM

thanks guys! Think it's time to dive into Color. Natress has a lot of presets that work very well for quick "looks" but since I paid for Color, it's time to learn it and add yet another job title to the growing list!

Simon Wyndham January 22nd, 2010 11:35 AM

I know that it is another expense, but I would really, really, really, REALLY highly recommend the Ripple Training Color tutorials.

Robert Turchick January 22nd, 2010 11:04 PM

Thanks! Those look very thorough! Just what I need!

Rajul Adli January 23rd, 2010 12:14 AM

Will Cineform Firstlight is good enough for color manipulation? I remember someone said it is almost the same as Photoshop Lightroom. Is it so?

Nigel Barker January 23rd, 2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajul Adli (Post 1476030)
Will Cineform Firstlight is good enough for color manipulation? I remember someone said it is almost the same as Photoshop Lightroom. Is it so?

Cineform First Light is like Color that is part of FCS. If you use Cineform rather than ProRes then you cannot use Color so have to use First Light which is only available with Neoform HD at $499 not regular Neoform at $99. So unless there is some very compelling reason for using Cineform e.g. file exchange with Windows applications using Cineform I don't see why anyone would want to pay $499 just to use First Light instead of Color.