DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 23rd, 2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Trustee

Digital Cinema playback FCP7 problems

How do I get my second screen to play back from Final Cut pro 7 on Snow Leopard.
I have two video cards on my new Mac Pro machine and I am an experienced FCP user.
After installing Snow Leopard and up grading to FCP 7 I no longer can use my second monitor to play back in Digital Cinema playback. I have searched the web but can't find any or enough info on getting this to work.

Does anyone here have some info on this subject. Seems Snow Leopard and FCP 7 has some bugs that need to be fixed and what's the go with the new quicktime and Gamma control. I'm really confused with all this and what Apple are doing.

Thanks
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

What cards are you using? This can be found in System Info.

I am running two monitors on an 8-core MacPro (10.6 & FCP7) with absolutely no problem with Digital Cinema. Works great for editing HD.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm running two NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 cards with a monitor attached to both cards. I have tried every combination to get this working. I'm abel to a get an image up on the second monitor from the timeline but as I play the timeline the second display goes black and I can still here the audio.

Any suggestions
Old January 23rd, 2010, 06:12 PM   #4
Trustee

This is weird as I can get DVDSP to simulate up on my second display.
I have a feeling that FCP7 has an issue somewhere with going out to a second digital display using two graphic cards or this is an issue with the FCS upgrade. I found some info on the net where you go into the Quicktime folder and replace the video file with one from FCP7 but this still does not work.
Here is the fix it I found on the net: This does not work fro me. I think I will trash my preferences in FCP and try this again.

Got the fix for all of you. In "library" folder on the Macintosh HD drive go into the "Quicktime" folder. Delete the "DesktopVideoout.component" file. Replace that file with the same file from Final Cut Pro 7.0. Be sure to be logged in as a administrator.

Here is the longer version:
Load up your Final Cut Studio Install disk,
or if you've made a disk image (good idea) access that.

Inside that, notice that the "Instal Final Cut Studio" package is actually an Alias,
so right-click on that and "Show Original"

You'll be taken to a folder called "Installer" inside of which is another folder called "Packages"

Inside the Packages folder locate the VideoOutSupport.pkg,
right-click on it, and "Show Package Contents"

Inside the Contents folder, locate the Archive.paz.gz file.
Drag it to the desktop, and double click on it to un-zip it.

This will create a folder called "Library"
Open it, go to the QuickTime folder inside it,
and there you will find the file "DesktopVideoout.component"

Put this file in Macintosh HD > Library >QuickTime,
replacing the similarly named file there.

Digital Cinema Desktop Preview should now work.
Old January 24th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Trustee

I just moving this back up again.
Has anyone had this issue with second digital cinema display from the new Snow Leopard and the new FCPS upgrade?
This is doing my head in trying to get my second LCD screen to play, preview.
I can't find a fix anywhere and I'm reading on line that many people have this problem.

Cheers
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Have you tried connecting both displays to the same video card? If you are only using two monitors then you don't in any case need two video cards although depending on the actual connectors you may need an adaptor/converter.

I don't know what the current support status is but it certainly used to be true that for Digital Cinema Desktop playback the monitor needed to be connected to the second port on your primary graphics card.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Trustee

Well I found the problem and I was warned about it but didn't listen I guess.
Final Cut does not support two video cards, I have two video cards. So I got the mini Apple-DP to DVI adaptor and now everything is working fine.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Cheers
Simon Denny is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite