DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FireWire Port on Macbook. Do I need it in the future? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/471649-firewire-port-macbook-do-i-need-future.html)

John Welsh January 25th, 2010 10:35 AM

FireWire Port on Macbook. Do I need it in the future?

Hello, everyone.
I need your help again.

My macbook pro died today and I can only afford macbook (not the pro one). It does not have the FireWire port.

I am outdated. Do I still need a firewire port to transfer footage from upcoming DSLR and RED cameras? I know for canon a1 and HVX200 I always used FireWire. But do I need it in the future? Should I buy or not buy Macbook, that is the question.

William Hohauser January 25th, 2010 12:32 PM

Your Macbook Pro died and you can't get it fixed? I would suggest that before buying a MacBook. While the DSLR camera and RED don't really need FireWire to transfer files, you would be sorry not to have this interface if you need to expand your storage options.

Mathieu Ghekiere January 26th, 2010 03:25 PM

I would really go for a Macbook Pro.

Don't forget also that if you ever have to shoot on a RED DRIVE, it works with Firewire800...

John Welsh January 26th, 2010 05:08 PM

Thank you!

I gave my macbook pro to apple today, they will tell me, what it would cost me, if I'd want to do the repair. But I dont wanna repair it either, because the mac is a little old already.

Why cant I just store information on an USB hard drive? As long as I capture on to actual HDD and then transfer to USB drive, should everything be OK? I heard, only capturing directly to USB HDD gives problems.

Why did they remove FireWire oh man oh man.

Tomorrow, on 27, probably new Macs will be anounced.

Thanks everyone!

William Hohauser January 26th, 2010 10:19 PM

Playback from USB drives can be spotty unless you keep the bus clear of all other devices, printers, scanners, iPods, etc. while you are using the drive. Even then you'll have an occasional stall although that won't ruin anything as long as you are not printing to tape. And make sure the drive is a decent one.

What model of MacBook Pro do you have?

John Welsh January 27th, 2010 08:16 AM

Thanks,

I have a 15 inch 2.2 8600GT from 2007.
I have a 17 inch 2.4 8600GT from 2007,

Both died recently within of two days range. Yepp, two macbooks died almost simultaneously. I found out it is 8600 failure, but I will be told soon, if the board will be replaced free of charge.

Very poor quality of macs :( I have three PC desktops, one from 2002 one from 2004 and one from 2005 and all are running without problems and without that I have to clean them or anything and two of them are overclocked. I ve been through dozens of PCs and ATi and AMD seems to live longest on me.

My macs I cleaned alot, reapplied thermal paste, and still, they just die.

Robert Lane January 27th, 2010 10:49 AM

With regard to "do you need Firewire...?" the answer is: Absolutely. Firewire is the de-facto standard for professional data connections from camera to NLE.

You mentioned, "My macs I cleaned alot, reapplied thermal paste, and still, they just die."

Why in the world are you opening up your Mac laptops and reapplying thermal paste at all? It seems the problem is caused by your tweaking of the internal hardware, not the hardware itself being bad.

I have a G4 PowerBook and a newer Intel Core2 Duo 2.5Ghz 15" MBP and they both run fine with never any hardware related issues.

Mac hardware has consistently been designed far better on the inside than any PC based laptop I've ever seen. The only reason to get inside - ever - is if you intend on replacing or upgrading parts, but "cleaning" them shouldn't be an issue unless you're in an extremely dirty environment. Even then, only opening up the top case and using compressed air to dust-off components is all that is required.

Stop getting inside your hardware and it will most likely last much longer.

William Hohauser January 27th, 2010 07:56 PM

I'd stay away from thermal paste applications unless you are very advanced in your knowledge of computer hardware. Just squishing a little paste in the wrong direction can send heat to places that were never designed for it.

I have two laptops, one a 12" G4 that was my main travel computer from 2003 until I got a dual 2GH MacBookPro in 2006. The G4 went to my sister until she upgraded to a MacBook last year and now the G4 is running a teleprompter! The MacBookPro is still going strong.

I say that your MacBook Pros are well worth the repair and you will not gain much if anything by purchasing a new Macbook.

John Welsh March 11th, 2010 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 1477946)
Why in the world are you opening up your Mac laptops and reapplying thermal paste at all? It seems the problem is caused by your tweaking of the internal hardware, not the hardware itself being bad.

Thanks for your kind answers.

The durability of Apple's thermal grease is very short. Two years I'd say. Arctic MX-2 and MX-3 are best available right now, I use those.
After I applied the grease, my temps were 9!!! degree celsius lower.

By the way I have no problems tweaking computers. The only time I damaged my computer was when I forgot to put the heatsink on my Athlon 1800+ :D I think it was in 2001. It fried it in seconds with the sound of eggs in a pan. The smell was not that of eggs :D

By the way: I decided to wait for new macs to come out with Arrandale, maybe they will update the white macbook too with FW