Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old January 31st, 2010, 12:12 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
I figured I knew one NLE pretty good, the next should be easier. Kind of like learning languages. But I think you're right.
Actually VERY accurate - for native French speakers, picking up Spanish is usually quite easy as the grammar is quite similar. But German is altogether a different animal.

NLE's aren't much different. Moving from MC to FCP, I STARTED with 3 point Insert/Assemble editing, now I typically do a bizarre two point/three point quasi assemble drag-and-drop for my offlines.
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:39 AM   #17
Trustee

If my audio files are mp3, wave etc..... I open them up in Quicktime and export as a AIFF or Quicktime. I do this for all audio that comes into FCP.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 02:36 PM   #18
Trustee

I've been doing that for mp3, but it looks like I'll start doing it with wave files as well.
Old February 4th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Shaun, I could give you a two page list of issues that I find frustrating with Final Cut. For some reason, I never felt like this learning Avid. I guess my mindset fit how it's designed to work.
Hang in there Vito - I moved across after years on Sony Vegas and Premiere and I found the whole "Apple paradigm" just so different to get to grips with. I think it will take around 2-3 months of constant FCS use before you forget Avid if my experience is anything to go by. But the move I made was absolutely the right one. Unlike the other 2 apps the FCS workflow is rock solid for me.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #20
Trustee

Thanks, Sherif.

Just yesterday I was authoring (finally) a dvd from a final cut project, when I realized that some audio was missing from a speech. WTF?

I open the project, and sure enough, somehow I had deleted a clip on one track (the one with the lav of course) for 5 minutes of a speech.

If you drag a clip and put it somewhere, it remains selected. Then if, for example, you mark an 'in' and an 'out' somewhere else on the sequence and hit 'shift-delete' to extract that section, instead Final Cut deletes the other clip that's still selected. That's fun...

So every time you add or move a clip, you need an extra click to deselect it to be sure the next thing you do doesn't effect it. Is this right? There's got to be a better way, and I'd love to hear it.

It's tough switching back as well. I had a client in today with a documentary on Avid, and for 10 minutes I was completely useless until I remembered my keyboard shortcuts.

Anway, have to soldier on! No more whining! Left, right, left, right...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite