DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   FCP>iDVD troubles... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/47194-fcp-idvd-troubles.html)

Frank Meek July 4th, 2005 03:06 PM

FCP>iDVD troubles...

While I usually use DVDSP for my dvd authoring and output, I (mistakenly, I think), tried to use iDVD4 for a "quick" copy of a work in progress, a DVD/book project. The publisher needed a copy, the PBG4/1g ram with iDVD was open and available, (a rarity, fortunately), and I exported an FCP Movie with chapter markers, etc. I used a stock "theme," imported some stills from the sequence and used 15 chapters at about 50 minutes. The menu looked surprisingly professional after some work and I started the "burn" process at "best quality." I don't know exactly what the time was for this, suffice it to say...way too long and I had shipping package in hand when it ejected. Of course I tested it on the internal dvd player and an external JVC unit. What I got for my time was the first of several coasters...yes I use some of the best media...Maxell, (for the highest quality coasters), and yes, I tested all the menus and play movie elements before "burning." However, it is clear that something is amiss. I get all of the audio and the three motion menu pages look as good as DVDSP...but the only playable chapters are the first three...all others are "locked" in their opening frame...while the audio dances merrily along. The "movie" plays only the first three chapters and then hangs on the opening of the fourth, again, the audio proceeds without the picture to the end.
Normally, I would write this off as the shortcoming of a consumer product, as I had previously, and move to DVDSP. But, now I'm mad as hell and I am determined to find an answer...if there is one. Are there any troubleshooting steps to follow here or a step inadvertently missed? I have checked the google pages for answers, but everything I did seems "by the book."
Anyone?

John Snoddy July 5th, 2005 01:08 PM

I would try creating a disk image. Mount it & see if that plays ok with DVD player. If it does, then burn from the disk image. Your project might be a bit too complex for the PB to handle directly. I have a mini & this is my normal workflow. Build project in iDVD, create disk image, test & then burn from image. So far, no coasters!

Frank Meek July 5th, 2005 02:17 PM

workflow

Thanks for your sage suggestion...this might indeed be the (or at least "an") issue. It sounds too easy to be true...unfortunately, as a producer/editor, not a computer guy, I could use the workflow for this. How do I get a disc image with this technique? Do I do so from the files? dvd proj file>create disc image?

John Snoddy July 5th, 2005 02:58 PM

I'm just a hobbiest, trapped in Windows-land until this evening when I can fire up my Mac. I think it's an option under export, but can't quite visualize it. I know the option is not where I would have expected it to be (under burn DVD).

John Snoddy July 5th, 2005 05:08 PM

It was under File/Save As Disk Image (Shift Command R)

Frank Meek July 5th, 2005 08:11 PM

Thanks, I'll give it another go...sounds like this workaround might be an answer, although it's irritating that a workaround is even needed. This should be straight-forward stuff...even for a PB with a gig of ram. I'll post results for all.