DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 4th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

16:9 sometimes, sometimes not...

I'm a bit confused. I did one project shot in 16:9 (it was shot in 60I 16:9 on the XL2) and edited it in FCP HD. It seems to automatically recognize the 16:9 leterboxing without even having to select anamorphic settings b4 capturing. I then exported it to Quicktime. And it played back with the letterboxing with no problem and converts to DVD with letterboxing no problem. I then shot some 16:9 (24pn footage), capture it to FCP HD again, seemingly not seeing and problem with it recognozing 16:9. I then do the exact process and export it to Quicktime again. But this time it doesn;t play back on the Quicktime player in letterbox, but streched 4:3 ratio. I don;t get it. I'm not doing anything different!! Didn;t change any settings whatsoever. Is it something to do with the footage being shot in 24pn framerate that's not giving me the final results in 16:9?

Please help me somebody out there...

Joe
Joseph Andolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:56 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

That does sound strange indeed. I'm no Mac user, so I don't know what is
going on. Hopefully someone can help you out. Good luck!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:50 PM   #3
New Boot

I would try double and triple checking all of your settings; more often then not, this is the problem. I once had exported all of the settings as 16:9, then put it into a DVD timeline and forgot to check the 16:9 box. When I burned the DVD, you guessed it, 4:3 image. It sounds like your export settings are where the problem is occurring; also, I believe only MPEG-2 will display 24p properly, but you're recording it onto a DVD so this shouldn't be a problem. I'm not an expert user by any means, but a lot of times settings go to default or on a mac permissions get corrupted. I'm also not near my powerbook right now so I can't check under which menu everything is located, sorry.

I'd use the advanced 2:3:3:2 pulldown as well on the XL-2, it should be in the menu settings. This has nothing to do with your problem, but will help achieve a better look overall, and in Final Cut Pro there is the advanced 2:3:3:2 pulldown removal. Make sure this is checked on your import settings. If you want to know more about the pulldown, there are articles on this site and a discussion in the XL-2 forum I think.

Hope this solves your problem!
Geoff Voorhees is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite