DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 8th, 2010, 01:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Blu Ray Authoring...

Ok, I am after some advice on what authoring software I should get for burning blu ray DVD's.

First of all, my specs...
- Footage filmed on Sony Z7 (HDV 1080i50 1440x1080)
- I have Final Cut Pro 7 & Edius 5
- 20" Imac 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB
- Want the ability to create personalised menus (ie. no templates where you can only change a few things, like Toast etc).

I have been researching this for a while now, and whilst most of it has honesty gone over my head, I have ascertained a few key points which I would like some thoughts on:

- In final cut, export file as Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) 1440x108050i (I know there has been some discussion on the best export file method, for example using compressor, but I've been told this method works well... of course dependant on the authoring software).

- Software that has been suggested to me:
: Avid DVD by Sonic (Costly)
: Adobe Encore
: DVD architect

So my question is exactly that... what is your method for burning HDV footage to blu ray dvd's?

It seems that every product has its own conditions and restrictions so would like to get some thoughts on this from people who have actually done it successfully.

thanks
Glen Mackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I am no expert at video, my background is in professional photography and amateur video.
It's been a goal to burn photos and some video to Blu-ray. I finally made it work and I'm happy with the results.
I bought a new version of Windows7 and installed it using Bootcamp. I'm using Sony DVD Architect 5.0b to author and burn the BD. Custom menus and sub menus work fine. I tried Toast 10 Pro and was very disappointed. DVDA gives it a true professional look. DVDA comes with Vegas Pro, I have version 8.0

I installed an internal BD burner Panasonic BDR-205 in a Mac Pro eight core. It works well in Win7. In SL it works but sleeps and does not awake if Drive Sleep is set in Energy Saver. The solution was to turn off sleep. Besides that it works fine on the Mac side.
Gregory Barringer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite