OSX: Going forward isn't always better at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old February 11th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #1
Go Go Godzilla

OSX: Going forward isn't always better

While doing some batch operations I noticed there was a contextual menu missing in Finder in Snow Leopard. I searched all around even in the Services menu and these functions no longer exist in the core OS application offerings.

In 10.5 you could simply use the "more" in the menu option of any item and open up "batch" commands and even things like removing metadata from a file - which would open up GraphicConverter to do the action. Now those actions are totally gone in 10.6 and not even supported directly in the G.C. app.

OK, so my computer now shuts down incredibly fast compared to 10.5 and some UI items have become prettier, and supposedly all the 64-bit code stuff is going to make my life easier - someday - when all the pro apps catch up, but taking away some very basic utilitarian functions? C'mon now...

I actually still have a 10.5 image on an external HDD and got the job done 10x-times faster than it would have taken in Snow Leopard. So going forward means more productivity? Ugh, not in this case.
Attached Thumbnails
OSX:  Going forward isn't always better-old-os.jpg  
Old February 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Trustee

There's a lot of things to dislike about Snow Leopard. I booted up my old mirror of Leopard the other day and couldn't believe how much more responsive FCP felt!

Trouble is that there are also a few things I like about SL that I would miss if I went back to standard Leo. Improved Stacks behaviour for one. Built in scanner support and much more versatile file manipulation options in Preview for another.

It seems to me that SL is just plain bad at managing memory. All the spinning beachballs etc. I have constant disk thrashing if I run Motion and FCP at the time same. Never had any issues at all under Leopard. I'm considering mirroring off my current SL installation and reinstalling Leopard.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey Robert
What version of Graphic Convertor are you using? As far as I am aware Application services are still supported in Snow Leopard but your applications may need to be updated ... just had a quick look on the Lemkesoft website and noted that "services menu added for 10.6 (Snow Leopard)" was attributed to release version 6.5.2 (current version would seem to be 6.6.1). Don't know if this is your issue per se, but thought it was worth noting.

You can check your Services preferences by choosing "Services > Services Preferences ..." from any application menu ... the preference itself hides itself in the OS X System Preferences Keyboard preference pane >> Keyboard Shortcuts tab

Here's a nice blog post that might be relevant: http://www.macworld.com/article/1424...dservices.html
And here are some services: http://www.macosxautomation.com/services/download/

Best
Andy

Last edited by Andy Mees; February 11th, 2010 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Added some extra links
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

GraphicConverter ships with OSX as a bundled app; I've never needed to purcase a stand-alone version. And the services that used to be available in the "more" menu are simply no longer available, period. It seems to be a choice Apple made in available core services, not how they're accessed or handled.

Simon: I'm with you; I often - as in just today - wonder whether going back to 10.5.8 would be a better fit for my work. Going up to SL has helped me suss out client-based needs who've made the migration forward and certainly there is a notable speed increase in certain routine operations (Mail, for example is the most stable it's ever been) but for FCP and the FC suite 10.6 seems to be a wash or any real performance boost, certainly zero effect on Compressor/encodes.

Maybe by the time the "new" FCS finally comes around we'll also finally get the benefit of all the 64-bit code now sitting dormant in SL.
Old February 11th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #5
Major Player

GraphicConverter OEM Update Page
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Robert, when I first saw your post I thought that you were wrong but didn't want to contradict as you are usually so knowledgeable & dogmatic about FCP & OSX. However I am glad that others have confirmed what I thought to be correct after I double checked my facts too.

GraphicConverter is not an app on any of the Macs here running either Snow Leopard & Leopard. It's a 3rd-party application. & if you have never paid for it up till now then at the very least you could pay Lemkesoft $34.95 & download the version for Snow Leopard to give you back the functionality that you are missing.

Services were extensively reworked in Snow Leopard & the article that Andy linked to gives a very good explanation.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #7
Go Go Godzilla

Hmm... how it came to be part of my Snow Leopard image is puzzling then as I have version 6.2 which is newer than the OEM upgrade chart shows on the Lemkesoft site and I've never paid for or gotten an NFR copy - that I remember anyway. I'll have to dig into this.

But still puzzling is why Apple removed the "More" option in the "more info" command (right-click on any item). It's not specific to GraphicConverter as there are other options not tied to that app.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite