Safe to upgrade to Snow Leopard yet with FCS3? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 5th, 2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Safe to upgrade to Snow Leopard yet with FCS3?

I'm still weary of upgrading to Snow Leopard (a complete/partial reinstall is not an option). Has the recent ProKit update fixed anything?
Thanks
Greg
Greg Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Trustee

I've been running FCS3 and SL since the day SL came out. Had a couple of hiccups for the first couple of days but it hasn't flinched since! BTW, I also run Adobe Production Premium (AE, PS, AI, FL and more) CS4 with no issues. Seems very stable! (of course now I'm screwed for putting that thought out into the universe! HaHa!)

The only real bummer with SL is there are no reasonably priced ESATA cards with drivers that I can find. They are all for Tiger! And with multi layered HD video, I am getting desperate!
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If your using a power mac, leave the case open so you can either pull an internal drive for external storage or run a sata cable out.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
If your using a power mac, leave the case open so you can either pull an internal drive for external storage or run a sata cable out.
If you are using a Power Mac you cannot upgrade to Snow Leopard.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 03:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
The only real bummer with SL is there are no reasonably priced ESATA cards with drivers that I can find. They are all for Tiger! And with multi layered HD video, I am getting desperate!
Assuming that we are talking about a Mac Pro then the absolute cheapest method to add external SATA devices is to use one of the two spare SATA connectors on the motherboard. Costs about $20 but the drawback is that the devices are not hot swappable so you need to boot up with the device connected & cannot then eject it so it's not so suitable for a disk dock. Newer Technology eSATA Extender Cable Adap... (TCB-SATA-MP) at OWC

Apparently if you get the right cheap generic card based on the Silicon Image SIL3132 chip then with the right drivers it works fine for hot swap & supports port mulitplier. These cards can be found on Ebay for about $20. I have just ordered a couple of these as I have been given a personal recommendation that they work great with Snow Leopard. I will update this thread when they arrive & I have tested them Hardware and Software at AtlastSolutions.com

For $60 this card is apparently plug & play with no drivers to load & gives two hot swap ports but there is no support for port multiplier & you cannot boot from the disks but by all accounts this is a very good card with great performance NewerTech MAXPower 6G PCIe eSATA Controller... (MXPCIE6GS2) at OWC

I suppose that it all depends what you consider affordable but the HighPoint RocketRAID 2314 for $200 gives four eSATA hot swap ports that support port multiplication (up to 20 disks can be connected) & also offers RAID 0,1,5, & JBOD HighPoint RocketRaid 2314 PCI-Express eSATA 4 P... (RR2314) at OWC
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #6
Major Player

I had to wait for AJA

We have a bunch of AJA IO's. Until March '10, they didn't have planned support for SL. Thankfully, they recently released the driver and it actually corrected many issues we were having in Leopard (tons of capture issues and deck control stuff).

I've upgraded 6 systems, with various hardware configurations.

2 with AJA IO's, 1 with Kona LHe, 1 with Kona3, Another with Black Magic Intensity Pro. Two more with Matrox MXO1 and MXO2.

Something interesting is I didn't have to reinstall some hardware drivers in SL that Leopard required. (Example, my ATTO Celerity immediately was recognized. Cool!)

All systems seem to be stable. Ended up cloning one hard drive (Carbon Copy Cloner) with FCP installed, CS4 and Toast. Then just changed user accounts and the serial numbers. Worked Flawless.

Can't upgrade my MacBook Pro because I love my Dual Adapter. It looks like a P2 driver will never be supported in SL, aside from 1k worth of gear (or slow USB 2.0).

I'd say go for it if your hardware capture drivers check out. Spotlight is more stable...
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Wait... this all may apply to me. I had to take my 2008 tower in to Apple as the main hard drive failed. They replaced it with a new one. When I got the computer back, since I had to start over already I thought it was a good time to go ahead and pay the thirty dollars and install snow leopard. Only problem is now when I plug in my 8tb Cavalry raid esata tower the computer doesn't recognize it. From this thread am i to take that the reason is that I switched to Snow Leopard? Is the esata card in my computer no longer valid or something? Uh oh?
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 10:46 AM   #8
Go Go Godzilla

Wouldn't it be best to ask the manufacturer? We'd all only be guessing unless one of us actually owned that brand - which I've never heard of before.

Cavalry :: Support :: Downloads

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite