DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 10th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need to convert HDV PAL to NTSC DVD but getting jerky results

I have done a search through the archives here and couldn't find a definitive answer to converting my HDV PAL project to an NTSC DVD for commercial release. I tried Compressor, but the image is jerky and the graphics look awful. Do I need to invest in Natress, do I conform in Cinema tools, or is it simply a case of changing my project to Pro-res and doing it within FCP? Your help would be much appreciated.
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Absolutely not, Compressor can do the job perfectly well, you need to turn on advanced settings that will clear up the problem. However, be prepared for extremely long encode times, as you ramp up quality settings in Compressor the time to complete goes exponentially higher.

Specifically you need to turn ON Frame Controls and use the settings shown in the pic enclosed. Because HDV can fall apart easily during down-conversion try doing some 10-second test encodes of a section that has a lot of motion or motion-graphics. If these settings still aren't giving you good results you may need to bump up the quality of RESIZE, DEINTERLACE AND RATE CONVERSION to "Best".

There could be other reasons your footage is jerky, such as panning too fast for the frame-rate shot in-camera; using deinterlace filters in FCP rather than letting Compressor handle it and a few others.

Try these settings first and let us know what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Need to convert HDV PAL to NTSC DVD but getting jerky results-frame-controls.png  
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Be prepared for very long encode times, compressor's best settings may be satisfactory but are slow compared to other options.
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Go Go Godzilla

Yep, Craig is right as I pointed out in this head-to-head test of Mac-encoders:

encoder shootout

In fact if all the quality settings in Compressor had been set to their maximum that 10-second test file would have been about 1.5x to 2x longer than that to encode!

Compressor is dog slow at doing it's work, but *it can* do it, just be patient. MPEGStreamclip can make encodes also and is faster at it when using average quality settings but when Compressor's settings are at the max MPSC can't compete.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite