DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Need help doing an "news around the world" font effect (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/474679-need-help-doing-news-around-world-font-effect.html)

Bryan Cady March 12th, 2010 03:17 PM

Need help doing an "news around the world" font effect

In my spot, I have video of the the earth spinning. I wish to have names of countries orbiting the front of the earth, then disappearing behind the earth with new names coming back around. I can't seem to find the effect in Final Cut Pro or Livetype. Is there an name for it or am I going to have to try to build it from scratch.

Thanks
Bryan Cady
Listen to the Wind

Marty Welk March 12th, 2010 09:53 PM

i would use crystal flying fonts pro , its a nasty little program that will assemble the 3D and animation of text like that , without having a lot of other stuff to deal with like a Real 3D program would. Also any real 3d program would also do that.
with crystal, you would have a green sphere or whatever in the middle save out as 32bit alpha channel, then key in the globe. or something like that.
its cheap it will do this ONE thing well even if it doesnt do a lot of creative things well without a lot of troubles.

Shaughan Flynn March 12th, 2010 09:56 PM

You mean something like this?

(cheesy cuz I just whipped it up in like 2 mins with Lightwave).

Bryan Cady March 12th, 2010 10:19 PM

Yeah that is the effect but I would probably have 3 rows of countries and my globe looks much nicer.

Is this what you used? NewTek - LightWave 3D If so I'm not looking to spend another $1000 for it. I was hoping FCS would do it. I haven't played with Motion much. Seems like I should be able to do it in there.

Shaughan Flynn March 12th, 2010 11:38 PM

Like I said - I did that in like 2 minutes - Make a globe - toss a image on it that was on my HD, make some text, curve it. Keyframe 0 at 0 and 360 at 60. Just wanted to make sure I understood your goal.

I tried this in Motion but it's not really attuned to doing that kind of thing. And, yes I used Lightwave - It's akin to Maya and 3DS Max type products.

I would look at Blender if I was you for this. Should be a slam dunk.

It's open source - Free: blender.org - Home

Bryan Cady March 13th, 2010 08:55 PM

Thanks..I'll play around with that. I might be able to with Motion too...I'm seeing possiblities...

Mitchell Lewis March 18th, 2010 10:12 PM

Duplicate your spinning globe footage. Place a mask that fits around the globe on the top layer (no mask on the bottom layer. Then on another layer fly your fonts around like you want to. Then duplicate your fonts layer and then place the same globe mask on the top layer. The trick is in the editing. Let each word move in front of the globe and then as they move along side the globe, you drop an edit. This is a painful way to do it, but it is a way to make it work. Maybe not exactly what you were thinking though.