DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Replacing source files in Final Cut (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/474827-replacing-source-files-final-cut.html)

James Huenergardt March 15th, 2010 12:21 PM

Replacing source files in Final Cut

Hi,

I have 80 Photoshop files that I have placed in several sequences in a Final Cut project.

I send the Photoshop files off to my client to be edited/proofed and replaced them in my source folder, overwriting the original Photoshop files.

Now, when I open the project, the files are there, but they are not looking like the edited/changed files.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jim

Robert Lane March 15th, 2010 12:27 PM

You're not doing anything wrong per se, but since you're using the exact file name as the original FCP is pulling up the old cache files related to the originals, that's why you're seeing the "old" versions.

The best thing to do is rename the "fixed" files with something that uniquely identifies them, even just adding a "1" or a letter at the end of the file making it's data unique to FCP cache.

Another method would be to clear out all the cache related to that project; Digital Rebellion has a tool for doing just that and you can download it on their site. (A review of their FCP toolkit is coming soon).

You can also go into the Render Manager in FCP and delete all your renders for that project which will force FCP to update the display information when you re-render the sequence.

Bottom line, you've got to refresh or make-new the file-related cache for this project to separate the old from the new information.

James Huenergardt March 15th, 2010 01:05 PM

Thanks Robert.

I did delete the render files, but that didn't do anything.

I'll try the Cache thing.

James Huenergardt March 15th, 2010 03:09 PM

OK, so I figured out what's going on, but still have no solution.

When you import a layered photoshop file into FCP, it creates a sequence that references the layers in the original photoshop file.

What's happening is, the text is getting updated, but the position of the layers is not.

Jonathan Levin March 17th, 2010 12:09 PM

OK. So you are importing the PS files with transparency, and with layers. Are you doing this because you'll be "animating" those layers? If not then:

If the images with the layered elements look exactly as you want them to look in FC, why not just flatten the image in PS, and re-save-as using the same file name as the previous images, saving them in the same folder. You'll get a message asking if you want to "replace" old image file with new, and click yes (backing up the originals, both old and new, is not a bad idea, just in case.

In FC, when you launch your project again, you may get a missing media message. Simply reconnect in the usual way. Your moves, filters should be the same, but be prepared to have to render all the images again. Maybe do this while you have lunch.

Hope this is some help.

Jonathan

Andy Mees March 20th, 2010 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Lane (Post 1499886)
A review of their FCP toolkit is coming soon

Does this mean you have finally set yourself up with a blog site Robert? Do you have a link for that?

Cheers
Andy

Robert Lane March 21st, 2010 06:01 PM

Sort of, it's not a traditional blog as it is more of a review and workflow site that's just gotten off the ground recently. It's the "Godzilla" link in my signatures.

Andy Mees March 22nd, 2010 06:06 PM

Thanks Robert, GGG bookmarked for now, look forward to the new MWHD site.
Best
Andy