Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 15th, 2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Major Player

Replacing source files in Final Cut

Hi,

I have 80 Photoshop files that I have placed in several sequences in a Final Cut project.

I send the Photoshop files off to my client to be edited/proofed and replaced them in my source folder, overwriting the original Photoshop files.

Now, when I open the project, the files are there, but they are not looking like the edited/changed files.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jim
Old March 15th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

You're not doing anything wrong per se, but since you're using the exact file name as the original FCP is pulling up the old cache files related to the originals, that's why you're seeing the "old" versions.

The best thing to do is rename the "fixed" files with something that uniquely identifies them, even just adding a "1" or a letter at the end of the file making it's data unique to FCP cache.

Another method would be to clear out all the cache related to that project; Digital Rebellion has a tool for doing just that and you can download it on their site. (A review of their FCP toolkit is coming soon).

You can also go into the Render Manager in FCP and delete all your renders for that project which will force FCP to update the display information when you re-render the sequence.

Bottom line, you've got to refresh or make-new the file-related cache for this project to separate the old from the new information.
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Robert.

I did delete the render files, but that didn't do anything.

I'll try the Cache thing.
Old March 15th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Major Player

OK, so I figured out what's going on, but still have no solution.

When you import a layered photoshop file into FCP, it creates a sequence that references the layers in the original photoshop file.

What's happening is, the text is getting updated, but the position of the layers is not.
Old March 17th, 2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Major Player

OK. So you are importing the PS files with transparency, and with layers. Are you doing this because you'll be "animating" those layers? If not then:

If the images with the layered elements look exactly as you want them to look in FC, why not just flatten the image in PS, and re-save-as using the same file name as the previous images, saving them in the same folder. You'll get a message asking if you want to "replace" old image file with new, and click yes (backing up the originals, both old and new, is not a bad idea, just in case.

In FC, when you launch your project again, you may get a missing media message. Simply reconnect in the usual way. Your moves, filters should be the same, but be prepared to have to render all the images again. Maybe do this while you have lunch.

Hope this is some help.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lane View Post
A review of their FCP toolkit is coming soon
Does this mean you have finally set yourself up with a blog site Robert? Do you have a link for that?

Cheers
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Go Go Godzilla

Sort of, it's not a traditional blog as it is more of a review and workflow site that's just gotten off the ground recently. It's the "Godzilla" link in my signatures.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Robert, GGG bookmarked for now, look forward to the new MWHD site.
Best
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite