DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 19th, 2010, 03:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Font frustration..

Just a minor 'quibble' and question in case i'm missing something..

I'm not very good with fonts generally, ie I'm not the kind who knows exactly what my fonts look like and which one i'm looking for in a particular situation.

So when I create some text I like to scroll down through my font list and quickly preview what the options are, in FCP this doesnt work.

So I'm curious does anyone have any good tips or tricks for a good font reviewing workflow?

(I'm considering printing a book of font examples to keep on my desk for a quick reference)
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #2
Major Player

I just use 'Font Book' from the apps folder. You can have custom type for previewing and custom collections of maybe the fonts you use day to day.
James Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Another vote for Font Book. There's a little known "feature" that I like to use.

1) Launch Font Book
2) Go to Preview>Custom
3) Type in the word(s) you want to test
4) Adjust the size of the text using the big slider on the right side of the screen.

Works great for me! :)

Also, there are a ton of websites where you can download fonts for free. Here's one I like:
Abstract Fonts - 13,019 Free Fonts

Once you download the font, just double-click on the font file and a little window will open showing you what the font looks like. Just click the Install button if you like it. Any of your open applications "should" update with the new font.

Good luck! :)
Old March 20th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #4
Major Player

thanks! good tips..
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite