DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 25th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Share your Tapeless Workflow

Hi. I havnet gone tapless yet, but I'm about to. The only thing that concerns me is the workflow from start to end, for example, when shooting, do you download the files on site or go to shoot with a bunch of CFs?
When ingesting the files to the edit suite, do you make a copy to treat as "original master footage"? and another to work on? How do you store the master footage files? HD? Blu-Ray?

On a tape scheme it much easier, capture, work with the files, then delete them. In case I need the footage again, I always know I have it on the master tape... but on a tapless enviroment it seems kind of confusing, therefore I just wanted to hear how all you tapless guys do it...

Thanks.
Matias Baridon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

This really has nothing to do with the FC suite and should be posted in the forum specific to the camera of choice you intend to use, whether it's P2, XDCAM or one of the newer HDV cams that shoot to CF cards (Both Sony and JVC offer them).

The reason I suggest this is that while there are some commonalities in a proper tapeless workflow there are hardware differences in the capture/archiving options available to each camera both in production (constant capture vs. stop-offloading) and in post so it's best to start learning those camera-specific techniques ahead of time so you don't have any "gotcha's" after your purchase.

Pick your tapeless system of choice and then post your questions on that forum category. If you end up choosing P2 you can hit me up directly for options as that's my company's system of choice and I've developed many workflows both for on-location and studio production that will help. There are others here that have developed similar specialized info for HDV and XDCAM equipped cams.

Last edited by Robert Lane; March 25th, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
Robert Lane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite