DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Slo Octo is now back to snappy after running OnyX (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/475595-slo-octo-now-back-snappy-after-running-onyx.html)

Scott Brickert March 25th, 2010 06:23 PM

Slo Octo is now back to snappy after running OnyX

Robert,
thanks for recommending OnyX awhile back.

I was getting some instability and sluggishness on the Octo (Leopard 10.5.8). Ran OnyX's various tools, and the snap is back.

Highly recommended for polishing and waxing your OSX installation.

Robert Lane March 25th, 2010 07:33 PM

Don't forget to get a copy of DiskWarrior too; Onyx doesn't fix directory issues which can also hamper performance but more importantly a monthly run of DW can keep you from having serious issues down the road, especially on editing platforms which have thousands of small render/cache files being tossed about which really creates havoc in the directory over time.

Chris Korrow March 26th, 2010 02:48 PM

After reading this, I downloaded OnyX & it said my disk needs to be repaired.

The problem is that my instal disc is 10.3 and the comp is 10.4 - I think I got 10.4 with the FCS upgrade/promo when it first came out and that disc does not say "to startup from this disc hold down the c key"

Should I repair the disk from the 10.3 instal disk, can I use the 10.4 disk & should a disk be backed up before repair?

I'm getting a new comp next week, but it'd be nice to clean this one up anyway because it'll be replacing an ancient emac that just keeps chugging along.

Robert Lane March 26th, 2010 05:19 PM

Onyx can handle the "repair" operation as it's part of the "repair permissions" operation. However if it's detecting an issue with the directory - and I'd need to see a screenshot to know exactly which error message you're getting - then only DiskWarrior will fix that with near 100% certainty.

Show me the error message and I'll let you know what you need to do.

And far as the Disk Utility "First Aid" function it doesn't matter which OS disk you have since the "repair disk" operation is actually a low-level directory fix (not nearly as deep or thorough as DiskWarrior) so you can use the 10.4 disk with no issues whatsoever.

In fact, try this before you do anything else: Boot from your 10.4 disk and use the "repair disk" function in Disk Utility. Then boot up into your normal OS and see if things clear up with Onyx. If not, hit me up.

Chris Korrow March 27th, 2010 12:22 PM

Thanks Robert,

I'm on my laptop right now so I can't do a screen grab, but it said your disk needs to be repaired, start up from the install disk & repair from disk utilities.

Robert Lane March 27th, 2010 09:01 PM

That's a serious directory issue and needs DiskWarrior right away; Disk Utility is only a low-level fix and may or may not get you back up and running properly. Only DW can bring you back to being 100% stable - you can dowload a copy from Alsoft directly and make a bootable disk. That's what you need to do *now*.

Chris Korrow March 28th, 2010 07:38 AM

Thank you Robert,

Will get right on it!

Chris Korrow March 29th, 2010 04:49 PM

Robert- Was a chore getting DW as their site was on & off most of the day yesterday (guess they're moving)

Anyway, finally got it & everything is up and running.

Thanks!!!

Paul Rosco March 29th, 2010 10:45 PM

Way to go
Really good you didn't hesitate and just bought it .