Any experience with MOTU's HDX-SDI??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old March 28th, 2010, 09:49 AM   #1
New Boot

Any experience with MOTU's HDX-SDI???

Hi everybody. Has anyone used or owns an HDX-SDI?

I'm shoppinf for an HD I/O device, and this seems competitive against the Matrox MXO2 LE...

So far the two downs I can see is the lack of battery operation and the use of TRS instead of XLR for audio input. Oh, and I forgot RT scaling!!!

I like the more "open" capture format capabilities, tough I know either Matrox's MPEG2-I or ProRes are quite solid.

Well, just thoughts on the vaccum... Any hands-on experience???
Federico Palma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #2
Trustee

the matrox MXO2's can capture to just about any codec. DVCproHD, ProRes, *uncompressed*, photojpeg, ect. in fact the MXO2's DON"T capture to iFrame Mpeg2, thats the Axio series which does this and on PC.

the mxo2's are uncompressed video data to and from the host computer, any device using FW for a video connection is using compressed video for HD, adding extra compression hits going back and forth.

the RT scaling is also important for format conversions SD->HD during capture, HD->SD during output.

also you can get the MAX option for accelerated h.264 video encoding. big deal if you do a lot of encoding because of how much faster it is, especially on a laptop. not much of a comparison when you really look at it, and what you are getting ( or not getting ! )
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 11:38 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Steve.

When I've posted in the first place I was forgetting the RT scaling thinkg so I added that later. And is true, that is almost a no-brainer!!!

Of course, there might be many more ups and downs that might be pointed. MXO2's have been in the field for some time, and the HDX is kind of new.

About the I-Frame, it's on the specs on the Matrox site.

I think MAX is a future-proof value, but out of my budget so far.

Cheers!
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #4
Trustee

ok, had to look. the mpeg2 iframe is PC only. I use the units on mac where there isn't this codec from matrox. however, it might well work ok using one of the XDcam codecs instead. haven't tried it. probably would work ok on a quad core or better. it would be interesting to test out.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2010, 12:38 PM   #5
New Boot

Oh, I'm sorry Steve!!!! I wasn't aware this was the FCS forum!!! I have posted in both mac and windows post forums. I received your reply on my mailbox and replied inmediately.

Well, this are interesting yet very confusing times.

Cheers!
Old March 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Palma View Post
I have posted in both mac and windows post forums.
Hi Federico. It's Forum policy to post only once and in the MOST applicable Sub Forum. I have asked a moderator to intervene and close the other thread down.

And yes, as Steve points out, the tether between the MOTU unit and similar units from AJA are via Firewire which limits data rate transfer. The Matrox unit is a marvel and is on my Must Buy list once I purchase a new Mac Pro.
Old March 28th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #7
New Boot

Sorry again, didn't know that!!! After a coupe years touring this are my firsts threads.

By the way, don't you feel there are too many sub-forums by make-brand and the general issues are left aside??? Is kind of difficult to have a good perspective of some topics and reaching to the right people.

Would like to see a Full Postproduction Sub-Forum and then the many others in the next level. But well, I know what a mess driving such a huge and dynamic forum about such a huge and dynamic bussiness might be.

Coming back to topic, the MOTU HDX-SDI is and PCIe or ExpressCard/34 device (not like the V4HD). Some kind of MXO2 LE "follower", as it seems, that is why appeared so interesting... Check it out.

Anyway, I still prefer the Matrox, so far...
Old March 28th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Palma View Post
Sorry again, didn't know that!!!
No problem, just thought you should know.

Cross platform information is generally shared here: High Definition Video Editing Solutions Forum at DVinfo.net

There ARE a lot of Subforums but it does help to "keep things straight". And there was a lot of good-natured (and some NOT SO good-natured) "fighting" going on between the PC and Mac camps so "keeping 'em separated" isn't such a bad thing either...
Old March 28th, 2010, 02:37 PM   #9
New Boot

I totally agree.
Old March 28th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #10
Go Go Godzilla

Federico,

Matrox has been in the digital imaging business for decades, MOTU is a relative newcomer to the video industry with their core strength being pro audio - of which they make amazing devices that I'd swear by.

However for anything IO for video my preference would always reside with Maxtrox, hands down - no contest.

In fact their "AXIO LE" and "RT X2" hardware packages for Premiere Pro prove the point; it's just damned sad they don't make that package for FCP. At least not yet.

Stick with Matrox in this arena, you'll not only be pleasantly surprised at the capabilities but also the customer support.
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:45 AM   #11
New Boot

I agree Robert.

I've been using Matrox products since the Digisuites, and I own myself a RT2000 system I've built myself, 'though I'm not using it pretty much this days for editing (gosh is 10 years old!), It proved to be a real workhorse for a long time.

I can still use it if a need to, although Service Pack 3 of Win2000 kind of messed the always difficult relationship of the MTX soft with Premiere 6. I don't know if it was plain luck or the extensive study of components I've made back then, but I've never -I mean, never- had any of those nightmarish issues reported with the RT2000. I've invested in a Medea VideoRAID then, it was crazy for third world standards and budgets, but made the work perfectly... Still does.

I just want to know if anybody had a hands on experience with the HDX, to make the comparison in a more practical manner. Just curious...

Anyway, MOTU has no dealers of their video equipment in Argentina.

Cheers!
Federico Palma is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite