DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Using Share to burn blu-ray discs (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/476276-using-share-burn-blu-ray-discs.html)

Dave Lammey April 5th, 2010 05:48 PM

Using Share to burn blu-ray discs

I've been creating blu-ray discs on an external blu-ray drive using the Share function in FCP. I create chapter markers on the FCP timeline, then go to File>Share and create the disc.

In the resulting disc, the chapter markers are listed in the chapter menu, and the individual chapters are accessible via the menu. However, I can't use the "NEXT CHAPTER" button on the blu-ray player remote control to skip to the next chapter. So when the video is playing, the only way to skip to the next chapter is to go to the menu, then select the next chapter, etc. It would be so much easier if the NEXT CHAPTER button was functional but for some reason, the disc created doesn't appear to allow this.

Anyone else notice this? Any solution to this problem?

thanks.

Dave Lammey April 6th, 2010 07:09 AM

Just wanted to add that if there is anyone out there who is creating blu-ray discs using the Share function, if you could test your discs to see if the "next chapter" button works for you, I'd really appreciate it. I'm hoping that I'm doing something wrong, rather than this being a decision by Apple not to have the "next chapter" button enabled.

Fred Tims April 7th, 2010 06:50 AM

Works fine for me.

William Hohauser April 7th, 2010 07:42 AM

Try another BluRay player, different brand, and see if you have the same problem. I've found BluRay players to very unstandardized when it comes to recordable BluRay discs.

Dave Lammey April 8th, 2010 07:04 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys ... I was able to test the discs on another blu-ray player, this time a Sony (the first player was a Panasonic), and the problem went away. I was able to use the "next chapter" and "previous chapter" buttons on the remote. Who knows why it wouldn't work on the Panasonic.

So it would appear that perhaps some players will have problems with the Share-created discs, while others won't. This seems to be in line with the info out there on the web that there is a lack of consistency with blu-ray results in general.

William Hohauser April 8th, 2010 08:41 AM

Here's a short list of Blu-Ray player problems with BD-R:

1) Disk dye color. Some BluRay lasers can't properly read the data due to the disk foil color. DVD-Rs have this problem as well but it's rare these days.

2) Firmware issues. Some Blu-Ray players need to be updated to play recordable BD-Rs. Info about this is sometimes hard for the owner to come by.

3) Bit rate limits. I know for sure that some Samsung BD players can only handle the minimum bit rate for BluRay with recordable disks. Regular commercial BluRay disks play fine at any bit rate.

4) Disk command function issues with recordable BluRay disks. I never had this problem, thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Dave Lammey April 8th, 2010 08:44 AM

Thanks for that list, William, very helpful.

Paul Dhadialla June 5th, 2010 02:39 PM

Which external BD-R

Dave, William - what external BD recorder do you recommend with a Macbook Pro

Thanks kindly
Paul

Patrick Janka June 5th, 2010 03:30 PM

This might be the reason Apple doesn't include blu-ray drives on their systems.

William Hohauser June 6th, 2010 10:27 PM

I have a drive from Other World Computing that works great.

Dave Lammey June 7th, 2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Dhadialla (Post 1535245)
Dave, William - what external BD recorder do you recommend with a Macbook Pro

Thanks kindly
Paul

Paul: I bought one of the Pioneer blu-ray bundles that Video Guys sells on their web site, came with a Pioneer BDR-205 blu-ray drive, Vantec external enclosure, 10 discs, and so far it has worked well with my MBP, very happy with the purchase. They have a bunch of blu-ray bundles on their site.