DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 14th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

setting 15"powerbook screen for best color

Howdie, I edit almost all my footage on the go with a 15"powerbook and NO external monitor. I use XL2 for capture and edit in Final Cut Pro 4. I am requesting advice for setting my scren to the best and most acurate color representation of my footage.

My target presentation venues are both DVD and for internet streaming video.

thanks!
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #2
Wrangler

Go to the Displays pane of System Preferences and select Color. Use the full calibration option. My powerbook is in the shop right now so I can't walk you through the whole thing, but IIRC you will find options for SMPTE-C, PAL/SECAM and other video formats. Beyond that you can tweak to personal preference. Use FCP to put up some color bars and try to make those look correct. This may help:

http://www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm

Personally, I can never get it quite right. If I get the brightness about where it should be then I don't seem to have enough contrast. But you can get reasonably close. I just finished two weeks editing only on my powerbook for projection on huge screens with some big iron. When we first looked at the video I was very unhappy to see it was so different from my powerbook. But after adjusting the projector I was able to bring it very close to what I saw on the laptop. Of course this is somewhat specialized since I had total control over the delivery medium...

On the road in a pinch you could also probably plug your hotel TV set into the powerbook's s-video output using an RCA adaptor, then use FCP's digital cinema desktop for a second monitor.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

hey thankyou. that helped
Old July 16th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

sounds like it'll be a process to get all this figured it out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite