DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Converting Finished Show to PAL DVD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/477572-converting-finished-show-pal-dvd.html)

John Godwin April 25th, 2010 02:04 PM

Converting Finished Show to PAL DVD

I've read a couple of threads on the forum about how to do this ... but, I already used iDVD to make a PAL disk from my NTSC original. At least I hope it's a PAL DVD. I just changed the type to PAL in preferences, iDVD re-encoded, and the resulting disk plays on various computers and won't play on any various NTSC DVD players.

So that's the only way to test it. Does anyone know if this actually will work, or do I have to export from FCP into PAL? (I've read conflicting reports online...) If so, what's the best current method?

Thanks in advance...

John

Martin Mayer April 25th, 2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Godwin (Post 1519256)
.........or do I have to export from FCP into PAL? (I've read conflicting reports online...) If so, what's the best current method?

Nattress: Standards Conversion: Standards Converter V2.5

John Godwin April 26th, 2010 07:49 PM

Thanks for the reply ... I was hoping for a good way to do this that didn't involve shelling out yet more money...

Mathieu Ghekiere April 27th, 2010 02:40 AM

If you have Final Cut Studio, you can also use Compressor - and don't have to shell out extra for Natress although I hear great things about it.

When I did the conversion for PAL to NTSC, sometimes the movement didn't look completely correct.

This made it look good (I don't know if it will work for you):
I put the PAL 50i HD file into Compressor (original format, finished in Apple Prores I believe), and first dropped the NTSC DV file preset on it (DV, not dvd ;-)).
I customized the preset a bit, giving it 'progressive' frame rate and using the preset 'better' in motion controls.

Of that NTSC DV file I afterwards just dropped the DVD-Best Quality preset from Compressor on it.
Then you can burn via DVD Studio Pro or make an Video-TS folder with it and burn with Toast.

Chris Soucy April 27th, 2010 03:30 AM

Hi John...............

Not sure why you'd want to make a PAL version of anything unless it was demanded by a broadcaster, and I can't envisage that happening somehow, certainly not on a DVD.

The thing is, every DVD player in PAL land can and will play NTSC discs (all flavours, bet you didn't know there were flavours?), and every PAL TV will display it, flawlessly, so, what is the point?

Going the other way is a bit more problematical, but that's not the way you're going.

There is no reason to produce a PAL version of your disc, it's fine in NTSC (well, as fine as anything can be in NTSC, let's be real) and it certainly isn't going to improve from the format change, that's certain.

CS

John Godwin April 27th, 2010 04:41 AM

Thanks for the replies I've asked because one of my clients, a major multinational corporation, requested PAL disks for their operations in France and China. I've not had to deal with this before, and that's why I asked for help.

So I *will* go back to my person and see if they still want them ... with the new information, and thanks.