DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Mac / Editing ?'s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/477689-mac-editing-s.html)

Denny Kyser April 26th, 2010 10:38 PM

Mac / Editing ?'s

I hate to ask this question before doing a lot more research, but trying to figure out if I should even spend the time and effort.

I am a PC / Adobe CS4 Creative Suite User.
I have been building my PC's and although they are as good as can be built, still have issues editing video, and even photoshop.

I am a full time photographer, and do enough video that it needs to be factored into the equation. I have several work stations that are PC, but am looking to replace my i7 cpu machine with something that can edit HD video with out crashes.

I realize going to mac, will probably include changing to final cut pro, but I am ok with that, only used Adobe CS4 because I thought it was the best, I have a feeling I was wrong.

Has anyone switched over and been happy doing so, or if you could go back would you.

If I get some positive responses will spend some more time digging and learning, but feel this is the best place to get an honest answer.
PC people seem to be die hard, and would never say there is something better. :)

Denny Kyser April 26th, 2010 10:50 PM

Also is a system like this ok to start with, this is probably as much as I can spend right now, I do have a great Eizo LCD display

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613787-REG/Apple_Z0G8_0002_Mac_Pro_Desktop_Computer.html

Michael Wisniewski April 27th, 2010 07:43 AM

Adobe CS4 is most probably the source of your problems, it is notorious for being unstable. The good news is, early reports of CS5 are that it is very stable. In a few weeks we should see "real world" reports of how it actually performs.

FCS on a clean system is very stable, but you will trading in one set of issue for another. Something to think about, there are a lot of hidden costs in time & money when you switch platforms.

Though of course if you get a Mac you have the choice of running the 3 major NLEs: FCS, Avid MC, or CS5.

Denny Kyser April 27th, 2010 07:53 AM

Thanks Michael, I have been hearing the next version of CS is the fix, just like windows 7,
I have 4 workstations now, all working fine, well as good as they can. I am thinking of taking one out of service, saving as a backup, and trying the mac, I still have the other machines if there is a software issue.

I like the idea of having all 3 NLE's available.

Robert Lane April 27th, 2010 08:43 AM

Denny,

The source of your problems may be a less-than-stable OS. I've an XP SP3 system running CS4 Production Premium without a hiccup however, it does not touch the internet and does not get hammered with the constant updating from MS.

The majority if not 98% of problems with and the constant updates, hot-patches and "critical updates" that come from Microsoft on an almost weekly basis are all about internet-related vulnerabilities. Any system - including Mac OS - that is in a constant state of being "updated" is prime for becoming unstable in short order when it's core components are always having their base code modified.

I've been on the CS5 beta team for a while now and yes, CS5 is a nice update to the entire suite but it too suffers from it's own quirks and bug issues that the entire team is constantly working on, and these issues are on both the Mac OS and Windows versions.

Switching to a Mac now is not only not warranted but considering the current landscape of both hardware and software offerings you'd actually be *losing* functionality, not gaining more. To date you have more options, much simpler (and faster) workflows than what Mac's currently have and native options for Blu-Ray that don't require hacks or workarounds.

If you're a Windows power-user and specifically want to work in pro video then there's absolutely no compelling reason to switch to Mac-land currently. We Mac pro users have been waiting for years for both hardware and software offerings to catch-up to all that our Windows counterparts have been using and unfortunately things have been going in a very backwards direction, not forward. The most notable and recent proof of this backwards momentum was the latest MacBook Pro model release which all but makes the "pro" Mac laptops look like very expensive consumer toys.

So my advice to you my friend is threefold:

1. Stick with what you know; as things stand today you are better off with a Windows machine.

2. To make your current system more stable, start fresh: Do a clean install of your OS then get all the latest updates and service packs. Then, DISCONNECT IT from the internet - period. Install all your pro programs (CS4) and run the manual installer and connect it to the internet only long enough to get the latest updates for your software, then disconnect the net again. Keep it that way. Once you've gotten all your updates there will be no reason to continually get the MS updates.

3. Purchase a cheap, standalone laptop (you can get one for less than $400 now) and make THAT your internet machine. Get all your program and other software updates, email and web-browsing done there.

Suffice it to say that despite the Apple fan-club that loves to hate Windows just on principle there's actually nothing wrong with Windows at all, starting with XP SP3 and forward. Win7 is absolutely robust. However ALL versions of windows are "internet weaklings" and should just never touch the 'net.

William Hohauser April 27th, 2010 02:08 PM

I concur that you should try restoring your system and getting it off the internet as quickly as possible.
Try that first and hopefully a lot of your problems should vanish, wait for CS5 second, and if you still are thinking about it, wait until after the fall for the new Apple Pro computers (and a possible 64 bit FCS4) before considering the switch over.

I just had to do a clean restore of a Tricaster switcher (which is XP based) that got infected and then the anti-virus program completely screwed it up. The manufacturer, NewTek, neglected to inform it's customers that only one anti-virus program doesn't treat the TriCaster's unique software components as a virus. Over the years I've had the same problems with Windows based video servers and master control equipment. Microsoft updates have caused a lot of problems, suddenly communication with equipment ceases, programs don't launch, programs crash, etc. A couple of manufacturers I've talked to have no plans to switch over to Windows 7 anytime soon.