FCP equivalent of Vegas' "grouping" function? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old April 29th, 2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Slash Rules!

FCP equivalent of Vegas' "grouping" function?

In Vegas, you can grab any assortment of unrelated video and audio clips in the timeline, and hit "g" (or maybe it's "shift g" now) and create a "group", meaning that when you do ripple edits, slide things around, etc., these clips all move together.

I'm assuming there's a similar function in FCP, but my research has come to a dead end. Merged clips seems to be something else entirely, and at any rate, to make one, I have to mark in i/o point in EACH clip I want to group together?

And linking only seems to work with one audio and video clip at a time. . .if I select one video clip and multiple audio clips (even on the same track), the option to link is greyed out.

Is there a solution?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Josh, by "merged" I'm guessing you mean "nested"? You can nest a bunch of clips but they'll inhabit the sequence as a single clip. You can still add clips into the sequence around it.

But if you want to keep that group of clips distinct within the sequence, yet have them move as though they're strictly connected to one another, I don't think that's a feature in FCP.

If it doesn't exist, you should send in a suggestion via FCP's built-in feedback feature. It's how Apple finds out about what users want in the program.
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Slash Rules!

No, there's a separate function called "merged clips". I read about it but still don't quite understand it.

I can't believe there's no grouping analog in FCP. That's. . .insane.
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I don't understand the way "grouping" is utilized in Vegas from your description. Are you talking about nested sequences which can be edited around and altered internally? I edit this way all the time and it works fine. This way you can edit a segment of a larger project and not worry about it getting changed accidentally when you work on the larger project. Grouping in layout programs takes multiple elements and basically locks them together so they can be moved around as a unit. Nesting in FCP does the same thing.
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

No, no.

There's no nesting involved.

Say you're looking at the timeline. You have multiple video clips and audio clips, across multiple tracks.

Grouping is where you select some of them, and create a group. That group moves together. Sync is forced. You grab and drag one of those clips, all the others in that group move with it. You can't move any of the grouped video or audio clips "out of sync" with each other unless you specifically remove them from the group or ungroup them.

It's the same way a piece of video and audio that originated with each other (say digitized from a tape or card) moves, accept instead of just one video and audio clip, it can be a whole bunch of clips across multiple tracks.

Or, it's like when you select a whole bunch of clips and move them together. Except, even when you don't select that whole bunch (if you only select one), they always move together anyway.
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Major Player

Merging clips in FCP is typically used for (but not limited to) syncing double system media.

For example. You boom a scene and record the audio on a digital recorder. At the start of the shot you slate it with a clap board. In FCP you double click the audio file and scrub to the point of the "clap" and set the in point. Then double click the corresponding video clip, scrub to the frame where the sticks come together on the slate and set the in point.

Then select both the audio and video clips, right (option) click them and select Merge Clips. You will then be prompted for how to merge them. Select In points and click OK.

Now you will have a new footage reference file that you can use that has the separate audio linked in and synced.
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

i know what you're talking about. I used the merge feature all the time and loved it in Vegas. I see the groups button but I don't know what exactly it does because once I unclick a group they dont move as one. Which is great when clips are scattered around the timeline.

I keep highlighting a bunch of clips and select link ( cmmd L) but it doesn't work :)
Tim Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Then grouping does not exist in FCP the way you describe it. I use nesting to achieve the same effect but I can see how it would be useful outside of nesting.
Old April 30th, 2010, 06:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Sorry Josh, I don;t work with Vegas but I do work with some other NLEs that have a grouping function as you describe, unfortunately FCP does NOT have this function ... if only.
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:27 AM   #10
Major Player

i was long time vegas user but moved over to macbook pro and FCP, which for me was the right thing to do. But its interesting that if i want to do a quick edit of a short I will go to Vegas. You just have to remember that the 2 come from vastly different development paths and thus user interface approach. The G would be a good function to add but i dont miss it.
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Major Player

Maybe a workaround, maybe not...

If you want to select certain aspects of a sequence as a "group," save and name the sequence as is, then bring that into the project as a new sequence and rename it, then delete the events you don't want in it, and re-save that as a sequence.

A lot simpler in Vegas, I know. Lots of things are. Don't get me started.

I have and use FCS because some clients insist I do; but when I want to work fast...
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Command L to unlink video from audio

command L will unlink video from audio track (like U in Vegas), but still looking for the equivalent of G in vegas to link any multiple number of video clips to the synched audio so they move around as one

I also think apple should add an automatic cross dissolve when 2 clips overlap (like in vegas), that would save an extra click
Sherif Choudhry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:12 PM   #13
Major Player

Well, except for the fact, that a cut should probably be the most used transition (in my opinion) so
automatically adding a cross dissolve would then require an extra click to GET RID OF! I guess it
all depends on the way you edit. I edit everything with cuts only, and then add transitions in
specific areas that need it, I do NOT want 'automatic' crossfades!
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:28 PM   #14
Major Player

I'm with you Gabe, but for what its worth I think the argument here would be that different folks have different needs, and some would like the option to enable / disable some such functions as opposed to simply not having them at all. On the other hand, Apple have long been pioneers of simplified UI's where form and function are very carefully controlled so as to ensure the much vaunted Apple "Ease of Use" even to the extent of simplifying an application's preferences options ...

All well and good, but in my opinion (despite having no personal desire to see automatic transitions amongst them) the ProApps should have a second "Advanced" level of System/User Preferences to allow pro users better control. Can't imagine them actually doing such a thing though.

Best
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #15
Major Player

Yeah, everyone edits differently, and all of us have different wants and needs. I was just pointing out
why they probably did NOT have auto crossfades.....I think many of us would not want that particular
'feature'. HOWEVER, you bring up a very good point. What if they gave you the OPTION to have
auto crossfades for example? But that option could also be turned off? That would satisfy both
sides, because you could customize your editing experience. And that would really be cool!
Course it would probably require a bunch of extra programing and work to make happen.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite