DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 9th, 2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Converting 1080p25p into 1080i59.54 for Discovery HD r

I am about to start the production of a docudrama. The acquisition will be XDCAM HD 422 LONG-GOP through camera PMW EX3 and Nanoflash recorder .The frame rate is 1080p25p

What should be the correct editing path for convertingand making masters in 1080i59.54 for Discovery HD without loss of quality?They are very strict in terms of quality.
Please help me.
Ramji Meena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #2
Major Player

If at all possible you should consider shooting 23.98 (with equivalent shutter angles to account for PAL powered lights), if Discovery is your primary delivery. This will allow your final delivery to be converted to PAL with a simple 4% speed up and to 59.94 with pull down.

If your work flow primary delivery precludes this, you'll be looking at hardware conversion for best quality results - I'd contact post houses who do a lot of HDCAM SR mastering.
Old May 10th, 2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Craig.
Is there some quality loss in pulldown?What should be the shutter angle ?please help.
Ramji Meena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:03 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Ramji... If you have to deliver 1080i59.54 (shorthand is 60i) then you'd be better off shooting 30p. Conversion is a simple matter of duplicating frames to get the proper number of fields. No concern over pulldown or possible cadence issues.

Shooting more frames gives you more data to work with. Any speed changes are more accurate going from a higher frame rate to a lower one. If you have to do a slo mo effect, you have more to work with. If you have to track and stabilize and match move, you have more to work with.

For the show I do, I always convert from 30p to 60i. It's quick and painless.

And I use Compressor for the conversions. It takes advantage of multiple processors.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite