Advice needed for a mac newbie! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old May 30th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Advice needed for a mac newbie!

I think its time for me to move over to mac-land.

My question relates to hardware/software.

I see that FCP7 will not run on the older G5 machines, only the Intel based mac pro's.

If I were to get hold of a G5 to see how I got on with FCP, would FCP6 run on it ok?
What are the differences (if any) between FCP 6 and 7? Is it worth going that extra mile for version 7?

Thanks in advance!
Tim Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #2
Major Player

My wife runs v6 on her Powerbook G4 with no issues. Full HD etc. 7 adds some new features that are very nice but I would categorize it as more of a .5 upgrade than a full version. The wife runs 7 on her MacPro and the only issue with this is that she was recently asked to send her version of an end credit sequence for a TV show to another editor so that the other editor could retroactively add her version to previous episodes. Problem is, the other editor is running 6...
Old May 30th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Sargent View Post
... My question relates to hardware/software.

I see that FCP7 will not run on the older G5 machines, only the Intel based mac pro's.
Hmm ... see:

Final Cut Studio 3 works on PowerPC, despite what Apple say. - Mac Forums

(Google is your friend.)
Bill Sepaniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, most helpful.
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:32 AM   #5
Trustee

Why even change platforms if you will only be switching to a slow old computer with out of date software that lacks modern performance and the features to work with modern cameras?
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:21 PM   #6
Major Player

My gut feeling would be to agree with David, however, I don't know anything about your situation, so...

I recently upgraded from a G5, the render time was getting way too long. 10,5 is the latest OS that you can use, Apple dropped support for them and All the new software does not support power PC's, so you'd be getting a setup that would essentially be obsolete from day one.

On the plus side, you can get them for next to nothing now and if you can get one with 10.5 + FCS already on it, you could make use of it for quite a while. It is still quite capable of handling HD video, but unless it's really optimized for the task, complicated editing is Slooooow. I've found also that Motion is pretty frustrating on it (on the new MP it's a pleasure). Also the stock video card (in my machine) was (i think) only 64 MB and the upgraded card for it was not an impressive change.

If you have to buy FCS, I'd rethink the G5 option, unless your sold on Apple for the future, The Adobe suite has gotten some nice reviews. There are also a lot of pros that are questioning Apples commitment to their pro lines right now, so it might be advantageous to see what they come out with in the next few months before you make the jump.
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Inner Circle

It really depends on your needs right now. A G5 works well with many forms of HD and I did a number of projects with it. If you are looking at working with AVCHD files that many new HD cameras create, forget it, there is no code written for PowerPC chips to decode those codecs. And it's possible that PowerPC chips can't handle AVCHD even if there was code written. I almost sold my old G5 two weeks ago until I learned that the buyer was planning to edit footage from a new Panasonic camera not an older HDV camera.

Getting FCP3 to run on a G5 requires an apparently legal hacking program that spoofs the software into thinking that the computer is running an Intel chip instead of a PowerPC. Remember that this could put you into a difficult position if the computer requires service. It is "apparently legal" to me since the program has been on the open market for purchase for a few years and Apple hasn't put an injunction on them yet.

A G5 and FCP6 is a good combination especially if it's a multiprocessor G5 with at least 4GBs of memory and it's cheap. Otherwise wait for the impending FCP announcements (soon?) or go with a new iMac and FCP7. That combo works great for standard editing.
Old May 31st, 2010, 04:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Appreciate your response chaps.

I think it best I avoid the G5 route then. I dont want my first proper experiences of a Mac to be clouded with any hinderences in terms of performance due to a dated machine or technology.

So then, what should I be looking at in terms of an intel based mac?
Imac/Mac Pro?
Dual core, Quad core, I5, i7?

Once again, appreciate your time.
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Major Player

That all depends on your budget & what you want to do with it.

Serious editing & enough cash - MP

Serious hobby editing with cash - MP without much cash imac

Serious editing without a lot of cash - The imac would suit your needs just fine for the most part, though the single FW port as your only in/out is a serious deterrent.

Quad for sure, but a dual imac would still beat the pants off the G5.

There is a reasonable chance that the MP's will be updated this month, so hold off for a bit if you plan on going that route.

Most serious editors only settle for an imac because of the cost.
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:08 AM   #10
New Boot

Whatever you decide upon will really benefit from adding a second drive and a second monitor to get the best out of the application.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite