DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Special Effects software? (Mac) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/47993-special-effects-software-mac.html)

Steve Nunez July 19th, 2005 07:57 PM

Special Effects software? (Mac)

Hello everyone- was wondering what software would you guys recommend for apply (adding) special effects to video? Such as laser beams out of eyes (like X-Men) explosions, glows etc- typical sci-fi type effects.

I feel very comfortable editing with FCP and would like to take my videos to the next level of creativity with special effects.

Thanks everyone.

Graeme Nattress July 19th, 2005 08:15 PM

Try Motion or After Effects or Combustion, and if you want to do Film Compositing, try Shake.

Actually, there's lots you can do directly inside FCP too, but it's not really the best environment for it.

Graeme

Brian Handler July 19th, 2005 09:01 PM

I got a buddy who claims to be in training as a Shake master. He's really good and pretty much swears by it for the time being. For his level I think things look freaking amazing...then again his office is pretty decked out. I seem to be rather jeleous. Anyways, thats at least one person who love Shake.

Nate Schmidt July 20th, 2005 04:02 PM

If you just want to add some basic filters fast try motion it integrates directly with FCP just import a saved motion project and drop it right on the timeline and you can make changes inside motion and FCP will automatically update I think you can download a free 30 day trial from apple.
*If I'm not mistaken Motion is not truly 3D but Adobe After Effects is-not sure how important that is to you

Boyd Ostroff July 20th, 2005 04:06 PM

Motion is a great piece of software which I used a lot on a recent project. The particle systems are capable of some terrific effects. It might not be exactly what you have in mind as an all purpose effects package however. Also be aware that it really taxes your CPU, memory and graphics card. It really prefers a G5, although I can do simple things with it on my powerbook G4/1ghz.

Steve Nunez July 20th, 2005 05:34 PM

Thank you guys for the great responses. There used to be a great effects program called "Commotion" that allowed for actual painting over video- but Pinnacle Systems stopped developement of the program (real shame) and I have an older version which works only in OS 9 (as well as instructional books too)........supposedly Commotion Pro 4.1 worked in OS X but I didn't get the software in time and eBay doesn't allow software selling (understandably- but regretable) so I can't find Pro 4.1.....

.....I have a Mac Dual 2.5 G5 and 2.5GB ram so I should be fine running newer software that's cpu intensive......I've been researching both Combustion and Motion and both look great- of course Motion is allot cheaper and doesn't have the parameters of possiblities Combustion has.......I'll probably get Motion and a set of tutorial DVD's to get me started......hopefully that should keep me entertained and get me on my way to producing some interesting special effects.

Thanks again for the responses..........now to save up some cash for the Sony FX1 and go HDV~~~~