FCP Running insanely slow. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 6th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FCP Running insanely slow.

It was a sudden occurrence. It was working fine just a couple days ago. Now it is laggy, it takes about 10 minutes just to start up, and seems to be incapable of exporting. My macbook pro says I have 84.4 gigs of free space. What could be going on?
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Preference Manager for Final Cut Studio - Trash Final Cut Studio, Final Cut Pro Preferences - Restore and backup

Try this free program first, reinstall FCP second.
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

Cole,

What most people don't realize about lagging system performance is that it's a sure sign that routine and even critical maintenance needs to be done.

Normally molasses-slow running apps are indicative of an OS directory that's badly in need of repair/refreshing. Download a copy of DiskWarrior right away, make a bootable DVD (or use CarbonCopyCloner to make a bootable image of your HDD on a separate or external) and get your directory fixed up.

Once your directory is cleaned up download and run all the maintenance routines in Onyx (free app).

After you do those two things if you're still having problems - which I doubt you will - let us know.
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Robert,

You were indeed correct. In fact it turns out my whole hard-drive was nearly fried, which was in turn corrupting my video files.

My computer is still under warranty, and so I backed everything up, and had them replace the hard-drive for me. And now everything is working splendidly.

Thanks for the input.
Cole Seidl is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite