Avchd & hdv at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old June 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Avchd & hdv

I am shooting a wedding soon, where I'll be using an AVCHD camera (Sony SR-5E) and an HDV camera (Sony Z1)

I'm very confused as to how I should edit both these file types together in the best way. What frame size should they be converted too? Should I convert them both to Prores files or should I leave the HDV, and convert the AVCHD stuff to HDV?

I need all the file types to be the same, as I'll be doing a multicam edit in FCP.

I did a test run and tried converting everything to prores. I burned it onto DVD and the quality doesnt seem to be too good- plus the HDV stuff has come out very interlaced.

If anyone has any advice on editing these two formats together it would be greatly appreciated! thanks!
James Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Regular Crew

G'day James,

Open up a HDV project, import your HDV clips and change render settings to Prores. You must convert your AVCHD files to Prores - (no need for HQ)

Export final film to Prores (if u want a master Quicktime). Or send entire sequence to Compressor.
In Compressor deinterlace using Better settings.
Mark Andersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Seems like every try at making a DVD from HDV interlaced has had major interlacing on the DVD. Exporting a self contained prorez 30p movie or even an HDV30p movie takes care of that.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses.

I actually tried something yesterday that seems to work:

I log and capture the HDV as HDV1080i50. And I convert all the AVCHD to the same using Toast...

Do you think this is a good way of doing it?
James Bishop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite