DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 8th, 2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Disproportionated Render Time with ProRes

Hi everybody,

FCP says that a 10 sec clip will take about 40 min to render!! And the whole video is over 2 min long.

The footage was shot on a Canon 7D and converted to ProRes.

The clip is made up over 3 tracks: 1 video, 1 text and 1 shape. I've added some filters: MB Looks, vignette, Blur (video track) Dazzle (text) Gradient (shape). It's been built on an Apple ProRes (HQ) timeline.

I've changed the timeline rendering settings from best to normal without any luck.

I'm editing on a MacPro Dual Core 2.66Ghz Intel Xeon (2006-2007) with 8GB of memory. I recently installed 4gb of memory over the existing 4gb (wondering if this could have something to do with my problem, it should be the other way around though)

I'm desperate with this as you can imagine.

Any thoughts??

Thanks in advance,

Javier
Javier Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Doesn't sound like any problem to me. You're rendering looks and blurs and vignettes, oh my! Not sure you need to upsample to HQ though. You're taking any 8bit deficiencies and upsampling them many times.
Tom Chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Go Go Godzilla

(Yo, Tom!)

Javier,

By default ProRes has the "Render in High Precision YUV" setting set, this will increase render times exponentially and the HQ setting will take even longer. Unless you're going to a telecine process for filmout, then change the timeline render settings to 8-bit RGB and you'll knock down the render times without a noticeable degradation of image quality.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite