Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
Here's your test.... in Photoshop make two pics 1920x1080 as the document size and set one to 150 and the other to 72. Pull them into FCP and you will see what the original context of this thread is about.
Did just that. They look exactly the same in FCP. I know that PS used to handle DPI flat wrong when it came to video (v. 5.5 if memory serves) and it may still allow you to mess things up yourself by resizing photo components incorrectly but if your workflow is solid, there are no issues with dpi in PS going to FCP anymore.

And I remember exactly what you are talking about. I just haven't seen the issue since v5 of PS. (I'm running CS3 right now)
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Turchick View Post
Since you're taking it from a magazine, make sure to run the denoise type filters (I think it's despeckle) you have available in PS or similar to get rid of the inkjet dots before you bring them in to FCP.
Actually, you need to use the descreen filters in your scanning software while capturing the image (experiment with the amount used), otherwise you'll find horrible moire patterns caused by the printed dots. You'll find it much easier than trying to remove the patterns in Photoshop. If at all possible, you'll be much better off scanning from originals.

And you have permission to use this pre-published material, of course?
Paul Shapiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:01 PM   #18
Major Player

The images I will be using are either from a magazine or original 4 x 6 pictures taken with a 35mm camera. I am also receiving some negatives.

I don't think my scanning software has any kind of "descreen filters", I will have to check.

YES I have permission! lol.
Oliver Darden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:57 PM   #19
Major Player

If your scanning 4x6 and want to zoom in FC, scan at 600dpi. If you don't have a descreen filter and you are having a moire problem in FC, you can try in PS to add a gaussian blur and then unsharp mask to sharpen it back up. Can't really give specifics as every pic is different, A lot of times I'l blow them up to double the size & then blur. sharpen & then resize down again, Works more often than not. On some occasions, I'll blow it up x2-x3 and then apply the dry brush filter, very large files with a dry brush applied, ends up looking like a picture, but the dry brush kinda scrambles the pixels & color just a bit.

I've just finished a project with thousands of 15 mp stills and my 2.93 quad handles it very well, even with 3-5 layers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite