DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 13th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Flip camera clips in FCP

I am working with some client supplied clips from various Flip camcorders with the files arriving in the usual mp4 format. Using DV Kitchen, I converted them to Pro Res 422 720p for the edit but it appears that the footage is somewhat 'jumpy'. Is this normal or am I missing something in the conversion?

The clips are from about a dozen different cameras and at least that many operators and I can't believe all of them had shaky hands!

Thanks in advance.

Reed
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Go Go Godzilla

Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. I thoroughly tested all the consumer-grade POV cams recently (a review to be posted soon) and none of them hold up to commercial-grade standards, especially the GoPro HD, Flip and Contour HD.

Although the Contour is the only model that has a global shutter rather than rolling none of them can hold a decent frame-rate and in fact "frame skip" as it were during their recordings. In fact the video they produce is little better than a web-cam, from all aspects.

Unfortunately there's no fix I'm aware of that can smooth out this frame-jumpy behavior; you can't make up for data that just isn't there to begin with.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite