HDV to Beta SP workflow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 16th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV to Beta SP workflow

I am editing HDV footage. My final product is then sent to compressor and down converted to ProRes SD, then laid on an sd time line and exported to Beta SP. I feel like I'm loosing some quality somewhere. I'm wondering what some of you guys would recommend as a work flow. Thanks.
Brandon Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Trustee

why not export directly from timeline to Beta SP?
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #3
Trustee

Digitize the footage as ProRes HD, then use in a ProRes SD timeline, where you can then reframe and size the video as needed.
Old July 17th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #4
Major Player

If you have a Decklink or Kona or Matrox capture card, you should be able to downconvert directly from your FCP timeline to a Beta deck. If you don't, then you would probably be going to a post house to lay off to tape. Ask the post house what options they have for you.
Arnie Schlissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

blackmagic

I have a decklink card and it SUCKS. It made my video look like old VHS. I wish i would have gotten a Kona now.
Brandon Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Trustee

I have used both Decklink and Kona cards, and while I prefer the AJA Kona, your video quality should be nearly identical using similar codecs.
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Carter View Post
I am editing HDV footage. My final product is then sent to compressor and down converted to ProRes SD, then laid on an sd time line and exported to Beta SP. I feel like I'm loosing some quality somewhere. I'm wondering what some of you guys would recommend as a work flow. Thanks.
Where in the process do you feel the quality is taking a hit? And where are you looking at the footage? The SD footage should look excellent on an SD monitor thru the BetaSP deck. That's the place were it counts. Preferably you are connected by analog component Y/rY/bY, S-Video at the least. If it doesn't look good on a standard def monitor then there's a problem in the process.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite