DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Can FCP output or receive midi time code? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/482259-can-fcp-output-receive-midi-time-code.html)

Geoffrey Cox July 22nd, 2010 10:38 AM

Can FCP output or receive midi time code?

Hi,

I've been looking for a way to synch FCP with Logic Audio but have failed so far. The simplest way would be if FCP could output or receive midi time code (MTC) but I can't find this function anywhere so assume it can't do it which surprises me.

Does anyone know anything of this possibility?

Thanks,

Geoff

David W. Jones July 22nd, 2010 11:13 AM

Just out of curiosity why would you need to sync FCP with Logic?

Geoffrey Cox July 22nd, 2010 11:23 AM

Hi David,

So I can work on 5.1 audio mixing (with full, discrete control of the outputs and use of Logic's superior audio editing capacity) and image editing in FCP at the same time.

David W. Jones July 22nd, 2010 11:37 AM

FCP supports discrete 5.1 multi-channel outputs.

But why not just use the XML transfer built into FCP and Logic to do this rather than trying to reinvent the wheel?

Geoffrey Cox July 22nd, 2010 12:22 PM

FCP 6 doesn't support independent control of 6 channels - it can play 5.1 embedded files but doesn't have control of 6 independent mono outputs - I thought it did though - I setup the audio output to 5.1 then imported a mono file and tried it on the different outputs in the time-line but the output for each was always either L or R. I was puzzled so looked at the manual and it clearly states it doesn't support this.

I've not tried the XML transfer but I assume this involves exporting the file to Logic. My desire is be able to edit in FCP and Logic simultaneously so I can work as intuitively as possible.

David W. Jones July 22nd, 2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoffrey Cox (Post 1551137)
FCP 6 doesn't support independent control of 6 channels - it can play 5.1 embedded files but doesn't have control of 6 independent mono outputs - I thought it did though - I setup the audio output to 5.1 then imported a mono file and tried it on the different outputs in the time-line but the output for each was always either L or R. I was puzzled so looked at the manual and it clearly states it doesn't support this.

I've not tried the XML transfer but I assume this involves exporting the file to Logic. My desire is be able to edit in FCP and Logic simultaneously so I can work as intuitively as possible.

FCP 6 supports up to 24 discrete channels, you need to switch them from stereo to dual mono in your setup,
and of course have an audio interface with as many channels to monitor 5.1.
You might also consider getting current on your software apps.

IMHO, your desire to simultaneously edit video in FCP and Mix 5.1 audio in Logic is far from the most intuitively way possible. Finish your edit in FCP then XML to Logic and do your 5.1 mix after the video edit is complete.
But then that is just my professional opinion based on 30 years of doing, what you are attempting to do.

Good Luck with getting them to sync!

Geoffrey Cox July 22nd, 2010 01:56 PM

Hi david,

I did switch them to mono rather that dual output but this didn't make any difference. If you could explain how I can have independent control I'd be grateful. I do of course have a proper 5.1 system which uses a Fireface 800 interface with 6 discrete outputs. The manual does say this:

'Monitoring 5.1-Channel Surround Sound
Final Cut Pro does not support multichannel surround sound mixing capabilities or
editing of speaker assignments, but you can configure your system to monitor certain
kinds of 5.1-channel surround sound audio files. If you have 5.1-channel surround sound
files that have been mixed in another audio application such as Soundtrack Pro, you
can import these files and then configure your audio outputs and hardware to monitor
in surround sound.'

As for the image / audio editing, I do find it baffling why audio / video programmes cannot be linked in this way as audio software has been capable of this in various ways for years. I've use the kind of method you described many times but it is hardly that efficient and doesn't allow for the kind of deep interaction between sound and image I'm looking for especially when one is working in 5.1 - this isn't possible by finishing the image edit then doing the sound - I don't want to work like that. Maybe one day NLE designers will realise this - I'm not alone in this desire as a search of the web shows.

Geoffrey Cox July 22nd, 2010 02:51 PM

David - found it - ctrl clicking by the lock icon on the timeline brings up the audio outputs for each track which I hadn't configured. Thanks for your insistence as it spurred me on to keep looking!