DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   multiclip editing and reconnecting files (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/483246-multiclip-editing-reconnecting-files.html)

David Schuurman August 11th, 2010 07:10 PM

multiclip editing and reconnecting files

So heres what I am doing...I have a small project that I setup a multiclip for, but it wouldn't play realtime so I created some DV proxies and it worked great. so the thing is all cut and I reconnected my source files in the browser to the original prorez files, then I copy+pasted my edited dv clips into a prorez timeline.

Now what I want to do is reconnect the clips in the timeline with their prorez counterparts, and the only way I know how to do that is select clip/"FF"/overwrite repeat for every single clip!

Is there a function to reconnect all the clips in the timeline from one source file? or do I have to do each clip separately?

Thanks for the help.

Dave Partington August 12th, 2010 05:03 AM

Right click on the sequence - tell it to take it offline (leave the clips on the disk). Then right click again and tell it to reconnect the media - and point it to the folder where the ProRes files are.

David Schuurman August 12th, 2010 05:33 PM

wow that was simple.

I feel like an idiot I never thought of reconnecting the SEQUENCE. Amazing, thank you so much for the info.

David Schuurman August 12th, 2010 10:12 PM

okay so new question on the same topic...say I edited a source clip, how can I replace all the clips in the timeline with the effected source clip in one move?

Dave Partington August 13th, 2010 03:08 AM

Not sure what you mean by 'effected source clip'. Can you be more specific?

David Schuurman August 13th, 2010 05:34 PM

Sure,

Say I add an effect to a clip in the browser and not in the timeline, I then want the corresponding clips in the timeline to be replaced by the original file in the browser (which I have modified).

Dave Partington August 14th, 2010 05:26 AM

Err.... not sure why you would add effects to the source clip in the browser / viewer instead of double clicking them in the timeline to get them in to the viewer so that you can add effects to those - but here goes....

1) Load your source clip in to the viewer

2) Edit Menu --> Copy (or CMD+C) (this effectively copies the clip & effects to the clipboard)

3) If you are not sure where the clip is in the sequence then View Menu --> Reveal Affiliated Clips in Front Sequence (this will select / highlight that clip in the sequence if you are not sure where it is - or skip this step if you already have it ready to go)

4) Right click on the desired clip in the sequence

5) Choose Paste ATTRIBUTES

6) Make sure the FILTERS checkbox is checked

7) Click OK.

This doesn't replace the clip, but it does copy the effects from the clipboard (which came from the source clip in the browser) to the clip in the timeline which has the benefit of not messing with any timing or In/Out points you have already applied during editing.

You can also use this to copy effects (and many other things) from one clip in the sequence to many others.

David Schuurman August 15th, 2010 10:58 AM

Hey Dave,
I add effects to the source clip in the browser because that way I only have to do it once to the clip and then just copy it over to the other clips as it appears various times in my timeline.

With the way you just described I still have to select each individual instance the source clip appears in my timeline. There's not a way to do like a "select all clips from same source" option?

Dave Partington August 15th, 2010 12:32 PM

If you reveal affiliated clips then all edits taken from this one base clip will be highlighted for you and you can simply paste attributes to all the highlighted clips at the same time.

David Schuurman August 15th, 2010 11:54 PM

Oh thats only in Final Cut 7 eh? Alother check in favour of upgrading.

Thanks for your help Dave I appreciate your patience.

Dave Partington August 16th, 2010 04:16 AM

There were no single big reasons for me to upgrade from 6 to 7, but there were lots of little reasons. When I added them all up then the upgrade was worth it for me. In the end we upgraded all 3 edit suites to 7 and don't regret it for a minute.

You can often find the upgrades cheaper on e-bay too! Just be patient and you will pick one up fairly cheaply.

David Schuurman August 16th, 2010 04:55 PM

thanks for the tips!