What's the value of using two monitors? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 18th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

What's the value of using two monitors?

I know this sounds simplistic, but what would be the value of using two monitors for editing on FCP? I can imagine certain advantages, but I'd love to hear some people explain how their workflow changes and if they feel more productive with two monitors
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #2
Trustee

My main edit suite has one 30" monitor for the main editing and a 23" monitor at the side.

The second edit suite has a 27" iMac + a 23" monitor at the side. Both run in a similar configuration.

The main 30" monitor has the Viewer on the top left and the Canvas on the top right sized so that both of them show 720p footage full size. Below those is the timeline.

The Browser is on the second monitor and gives me a much better view of things than having it as a tiny window on the main screen.

Also, by having the browser on the second screen I can resize my main screen to show a full 1080p canvas AND still see my timeline below it if I need to.

The third edit suite is two 23" monitors side by side and these give less flexibility in terms of viewing things at 100% while editing.

I also use two screens when color grading (in Color).

Optionally you could output the Canvas to the second monitor running at 100% or use it as an extra video playback device (again at 100%).
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Inner Circle

It really helps when editing HD footage without having an expensive set-up with a broadcast grade HD monitor. I have a 26" main monitor and an Apple 23" monitor for Digital Cinema preview. Works great. I would be a little careful using a set-up like that for color correction, that really requires some extra equipment. Sometimes I turn the preview off and have client instructions up on the second monitor or other programs.
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #4
Trustee

I use a pair of 24" Dells and a Sony 32" Bravia fed from a Matrox MX02 mini with Max.

After years of trying out different configurations, this is by far the best rig I've used for editing and color grading.

The main thing I love about two computer monitors is being able to lay out all the necessary tools in FCP. Also, I tend to use a bunch of apps at the same time...FCP, Motion, After Effects, Photoshop as well as Mail and sometimes Safari. Just love having everything at my fingertips. In AE, it's really useful when I get a ton of layers going. Same in FCP and Motion. I don't have to search around for stuff...it's all there.

So ergonomics is the simple answer!

Having the Sony for watching "reality" is fantastic. Much better than tying up a full computer monitor for viewing. Plus the Matrox allows very easy calibration so I know what I'm looking at is right. (always verified with scopes though!)

The other cool thing is the Matrox auto scales so if I work in 720 or 1080, it show up full screen on the Sony.

Here's the setup...
Attached Thumbnails
What's the value of using two monitors?-img_0005.jpg  
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #5
Trustee

I had two monitors side by side in my studio setup before this one.

Never really got used to the break between them and having to skip over the bezels in the center.

Today, I have a Sony 32 HDTV hung above a large Apple Cinema Display - with a broadcast monitor to the right.

I find this is best for me since the geometry of screen to my eyes distance lets me pan and scan the editing monitor with little if any head motion - and a simple look right for CRT review or a glance up for Home flat screen HD view. This keeps long edit session muscle fatigue to a minimum.

I personally much prefer having a continuous field of pixels ahead - rather than a wider display with a chunk of metal "dead space" between them. But it's a personal thing.

You can get "used" to each. I like it this way.

See photo.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the value of using two monitors?-studio-beauty.jpg  
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #6
Trustee

Bill... what desk is that? I LIKE IT!
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:05 PM   #7
Trustee

Robert,

Edit System series from Middle Atlantic Products.

Not cheap - but purpose built for video editing and similar tasks.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:10 PM   #8
Trustee

Thanks! It's not that expensive. I will be building a dedicated space in a few months and I want a new desk. An aeron chair is already on the budget sheet!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite