DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Slash Rules!

hd color correction in less than ideal situations

So, I'm going to be DPing a short film for a friend, and doing the color correction as well. We may (still undecided) end up shooting in HD (who does anything else these days? Well, people without access to HD cameras, that's who).

I'm still living in a mostly SD world. . .and my color correction monitor is the very SD Sony PVM 14m2u.

I have already determined that I can get a signal to it watching HD footage from an FCP timeline, using firewire, albeit with some serious aliasing/scaling issues.

The question is, what to do about the color correction? I understand HD and SD operate in different color spaces, and this affects the way one vs the other sees luminance/gamma and primary colors. Is there some thing I can run/apply to make this SD CRT monitor valid for HD color correction?

My other option is to use my Imac monitor itself to judge, though I understand computer monitors are in their own color space as well. So, again, is there something one can run or apply to make an Imac monitor valid for color correction?

I also have Panasonic/Vierra 42" PLasma TV, though the way it is positioned relative to where my workstation is, it's not very convenient. Nevertheless, could it be any help in the process?

The movie's destination? Wherever, though most likely film fests and DVDs as it is a short.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:20 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I graded my first HD short (shot on a 5D) on my calibrated SD monitor. Worked out just fine. I cut a DVD with that footage, played it back on that monitor, and a good SD TV. I cut a BluRay and watched that on 2 LCDs, a 72" plasma, and then projected it in a real theater. All looked good to me, so I stopped worrying about it.

I now have a decent, but non-professional setup with my Matrox MX02, and use that on my HD editing station. Works well for my needs. If this was a feature going to Sundance, I'd say maybe look at other options, but for basic fests and such, just do it the way you're doing it now. It'll be just fine.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 02:01 AM   #3
Slash Rules!

Thanks. So, what did you calibrate said monitor to? FCPs (or your NLE or choice) bars?

On a related note. . .on set, if said monitor can see some kind of signal from your HD cam, is it a reliable way to judge lighting/color? If you calibrate to your HD cam's bars?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 02:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes. I calibrated to my NLEs bars. My goal was not so much perfectly accurate color, but good exposure, and that was not hard to do on an SD monitor.

And on more critical shoots, yes I have taken this monitor along. And will again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite