ATI HD 5770 vs HD 5870 graphics card for FCS at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 23rd, 2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

ATI HD 5770 vs HD 5870 graphics card for FCS

I will soon be updating to a new MacPro 8 core with 16GB RAM and I'm wondering about the value of selecting the graphics card upgrade from the 5770 to the 5870.

Given the way I have the rest of the Mac configured would my experience using FCS or CS4 be improved by way of faster realtime rendering of effects in Motion or AE by going with the 5870 or would it be a waste of money?

I'm not very knowledgable about hardware so I'm not certain about the relationship of processor, RAM, and graphics card when determining where the bottleneck is, but I can't really afford more than 8 cores or 16GB RAM.

Any advice is appreciated.
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The 5870 is rated as up to 70% better performance than the 5770 but whether that really equates to higher performance in FCP or CS5 I don't know but for just $200 extra for the 5870 on a system that costs at least $3500 I would pay the extra.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #3
Regular Crew

It's a good point Nigel, I had the same thought. But then I also thought it may just be a "sucker" upgrade for my usage especially when $200 towards the monitor instead would also be very useful.

Does anyone else have an understanding as to the role the graphics card plays in the realtime rendering process, or is it mainly processors and RAM?
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'd like to know this too...
John Meeks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite