DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 25th, 2010, 10:13 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Editing and the Timecode filter

I wish I could make the editing process easier, when I give the client the raw footage on a dvd and tell them to play it with the time displayed (using their remote control). Then write down times for the sections they want.

I recently saw there is a filter in fcp that will actually display the time on the actual video. But I find this problematic because as soon as I make a cut in the footage the time code changes. I guess maybe the time code filter is only of use for the client to make it easier for them to see. But when I edit I'll have to rely on the time code in the timeline and make the cuts but not remove the footage until all the cuts have been done.
Pete Cofrancesco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #2
Inner Circle

There are several ways to overlay a timecode burn-in in FCP and Compressor. Putting the time code filter on individual clips in the FCP timeline will do just as you described. I assume you are looking for the time code of the entire timeline. A quick method is to nest the sequence into a new timeline and apply the filter. Unfortunately this is problematic as you can't adjust the filter out of the default settings. A way around this is to make a QuickTime reference file of your timeline and import that into the new sequence. Then you can adjust the filter freely. Another way is to use the timecode filter in Compressor when you export the timeline to make a DVD. It has most of the options you'll need for the client.
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Nesting works the best and the fastest for us: make a new sequence, nest your timeline into it, and put a timecode filter on it. But you CAN change the default settings. Right click on the nested sequence (the video part) and go to: Go To Viewer (or Open in Viewer). There you can go to the Filter Tab, and adjust the settings.

We do it constantly for customers, but a small warning: it adds a LOT of render time...
If you do it with the timecode filter in Compressor (which is a bit funky at times, and if I'm not mistaken, doesn't allow you to put a black box around the timecode) you can of course utilize more cores then FCP if you have a multi-core machine (with QMaster activated and the right settings).
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #4
Major Player

A filter that displays the source footage timecode doesn't change when the material is cut -- the source footage timecode continues the same as it ever was.

I use the free filter from Piero because it works in FCE -- if the native FCP filter doesn't reveal source clip timecode you can use this one instead.

Timecode Display

I perform a rough edit, apply the filter configured to display the timeline timecode (the one that will change as I cut) and the source clip timecode (which won't change ever) and 'burn' a dub. So clients can refer to the timeline timecode (as it is likely the only one they understand) and I can see at a glance where the source clip is and access it directly; in order to keep sense of the client suggestions I drop a copy of the burned timeline in a track above all else, that way as I make the copies and changes I can reference the burned code in the top track exactly as the client saw it. Just delete or make shy the burned track before re-exporting the re-edit.

HTH

GB
R Geoff Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
Nesting works the best and the fastest for us: make a new sequence, nest your timeline into it, and put a timecode filter on it. But you CAN change the default settings. Right click on the nested sequence (the video part) and go to: Go To Viewer (or Open in Viewer). There you can go to the Filter Tab, and adjust the settings.

We do it constantly for customers, but a small warning: it adds a LOT of render time...
If you do it with the timecode filter in Compressor (which is a bit funky at times, and if I'm not mistaken, doesn't allow you to put a black box around the timecode) you can of course utilize more cores then FCP if you have a multi-core machine (with QMaster activated and the right settings).
Hmm, I have to try that. The last time I tried (a long time ago) all that happened was that the nested sequence would open not the filter settings. I haven't done the timecode filter in Compressor since FCS3 came out but you are right about the black box being not available.

Usually I skip the filter and tell the client to use the DVD numbers which are easy to see on a computer.
Old August 25th, 2010, 10:48 PM   #6
Major Player

Not sure how much detail he goes into, but Shane Ross just posted a quick video tutorial on adding Timecode burns to Quicktime Movie exports.

THREE TUTORIALS FOR FINAL CUT PRO - Little Frog in High Def

Another favourite method is to use the freeware QTSync app which adds instant timecode as a text track to an already exported Quicktime Movie

Home

Hope it helps
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:28 AM   #7
Inner Circle

thx for the replies. i'll try some of the suggestions
Pete Cofrancesco is online now   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite