My set-up for FCP editing, still not sure which 2nd monitor. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 26th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Major Player

My set-up for FCP editing, still not sure which 2nd monitor.

Hi Everyone,

I've been the recipient of some excellent advice on this, and a few other forums, which made my decision to buy the following much easier. Keep in mind I've been editing on a G5 SP 1.8ghz, 3.5gb RM machine for the past several years, so I think this should be a good start for me, with the ability to expand as I go along. At some point I'll get into the fine points of raiding, higher end calibration, and capture equipment when money and work reach pre 2008 levels.

Mac Pro 2.4 Quad 8 core, 5870 card, 8GB memory (leaving four slots if I want to add later on), stock 1TB HD for apps and OS.

Apple 27" display (main) I have on loan a 24 until the 27's start arriving sometime in September.

I'll be using my Logitech speaker system for audio. Not great, but will make do for now.

LG internal Blu Ray burner burner. May sound silly, but I think I'll end up backing up certain projects on BRD. Still expensive, but most of my project are around 70GB, HDV. Switching to Pro Res workflow will great increase that I know. Each blank disk is around $2.00-$4.00US, but like DVD's and CD's, maybe they to will drop in price. I am very intrigued by the dual layer 50GB disks, but they are in the outer limits.

Ipod Classic 160GB to replace my aging and not enough storage 60GB Ipod photo

2TB WD Caviar Black HD for bay two- files, capture etc. 1TB Seagate from my old G5 to be used as temp B/U.

Matrox MXO Mini, HDMI cables, FW400-FW800 adapter for L&T from camera.

I was looking at Caldigit (my favorite), G-Tech, and Drobo products for storage, but in the end since I am not yet ready to get into setting up raids and jumping into all that, I will continue to use my 1TB Lacie external as back up #2. I also know that that's a bunch of manually moving files back and forth, but until I figure out what my needs are and again how things go with work, this will do. At least I'll have some back up.

My last piece of equipment will be a second display, and what's holding me up on this is Matrox's requirement of 1920x1080 HD (easy), HDMI IN, (easy) and the 1:1 pixel ratio (not easy) I can't find any display manufacturer that lists on their specs as to whether or not they have 1:1. My budget for the display is $500.00 or less. Hardly a fine video monitor, but again those start at around $1000.00US as far as I can tell. So again until I'm sure about work, I was looking at something like the HP 2509m 25", but I can not tell from the specs if it is 1:1 and calling HP tech support was an incredible waste of time. They were reading the same specs as I was on their web site!

Any suggestions in that area will wrap up this deal. So there it is.

Thanks for your help in the past, present and future.

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Jonathan

Have a look at the Dell Ultrasharp U2410, I think that one is in your price range ... it's a native 1920x1200 panel (but the point here is that it is not less than 1920x1080 so your footage is not scaled down by the display), has 1:1 display mode (so the full 1920x1080 image will be displayed accurately, pixel for pixel and without issues of display induced overscan).

Documentation

Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2010, 09:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Andy,

I have seen the Dell mentioned in display posts. I tried to find it on B&H site, but I don't think they carry the Dell displays.

I think I'll call them up, and using the specs and requirements for the Mini, see what they might recommend. I think they offer free shipping on certain things to.

BTW- new Mac Pro arrived early this AM, wasn't due until the 31st, but I'm not complaining. I need to dust and vacuum my office, since that has not been done really well sine I got the G5. Wife likes this part.

The MXO Mini, HD, and cables come sometime today!!!

Jonathan
Jonathan Levin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite