QT / FCP help please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #1
Major Player

QT / FCP help please

I have a wedding saved as a QT file from a few weddings ago and I wanted to go back and pull out part of it to use for another project. When I import the file into FCP it's in 4:3, not 16:9. It's an SD file.

When I open the file using QT Pro it shows up as 4:3. When I open it with just the regular QT player it opens 16:9, which is correct.

I need it to be 16:9 when imported into FCP.

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Scott go to the FCP browser window and select the File then right scroll the properties and select anamorphic this will adjust the file format for FCP.
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Librandi View Post
Hi Scott go to the FCP browser window and select the File then right scroll the properties and select anamorphic this will adjust the file format for FCP.
Thanks Lance. That did it.

I've never been over that direction before because I'm pretty basic.

Still can't figure out why QT Pro won't playback correctly though. However, this takes care of my current problem.

Thank you.
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Major Player

What do you mean QT won't play back correctly, I thought you said it looks good in quicktime? In any case if you open a video in quicktime pro you'll find the anamorphic setting in the properties (Apple+J). Go to the "presentation" tab and all play around with the "conform aperture" drop down menu. Anamorphic video is in fact 4:3, but it is stretched to 16:9. Sometimes applications don't recognize when a video is flagged as anamorphic.
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric Mannion View Post
What do you mean QT won't play back correctly, I thought you said it looks good in quicktime?
Thank you. Lance has already allowed me to find the solution, but to clarify ... the video looked perfect with the free QT player on my Mac. It was QT Pro where it was coming up 4:3.
Old August 31st, 2010, 02:40 PM   #6
Major Player

I thought that's what you meant, just use presentation so that it plays back correctly in Pro, and you can even save the settings if it is a .mov
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite