DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Rendering problem with multiclip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/484442-rendering-problem-multiclip.html)

Svein Rune Skilnand September 8th, 2010 11:12 AM

Rendering problem with multiclip

Hi.
I am trying to edit a multiclip with 4 cameras, shot in HDV1080p 25 on the Sony Z5.

I am running a 1080p25HDV timeline and when I place just the one clip on the timeline everything works fine. No rendering required.

But when I create a multiclip and place that on the timeline I have to render everything. There`s a green line running on top. When the rendering is done I can no longer play back the multiclips. Just the edited piece. The multiclips no longer show. I have 40 hours to edit so this is a bit frustrating.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Svein Rune

William Hohauser September 8th, 2010 12:20 PM

No multiclip in HDV or AVCHD timelines! It's too much work for the computer. Switch the sequence settings to ProRes and you'll find that the multi-clip will work.

Svein Rune Skilnand September 8th, 2010 01:10 PM

William, thanks.
I`ll try that.

I must however point out that my computer was specifically built by my supplier for editing multiclips in HDV. It used to work fine with multiclips HDV1080i.

I will see if I can find the setting and change the sequence.

Svein Rune Skilnand September 8th, 2010 02:31 PM

I tried changing the sequence to Pro Res. But it didn`t help. I still have to render.

I tried making a multiclip of some XDCam EX clips, but the same problem arises. One by one on the timeline works fine, no rendering required. But placing them in a multiclip creates the same problem again.

William Hohauser September 8th, 2010 08:19 PM

Doesn't happen to me and I used to do this on an old G5 Mac but I was working with 720p or 1080i. Do you have the sequence set to dynamic playback resolution? If so try to set it to a lower playback resolution. 1080p is twice as much information as 1080i. You may have to transcode to ProRes to reduce the CPU load of the HDV files.

Craig Parkes September 9th, 2010 04:36 AM

It is probably something to do with 25p not being a standard broadcast deliverable format, thus it's less likely that the Final Cut real time extreme engine is optimised for it, especially it being used in Multicam.

That'd be my hunch.

Svein Rune Skilnand September 9th, 2010 01:40 PM

Craig, your suggestion sort of makes sense. But why does it also happen on XDCam EX formats?

Does this mean that from now on I should rathe stick to DVCam or 1080i?

William Hohauser September 9th, 2010 01:51 PM

Did you try transcoding the files to ProRes? Do that first before going to DVCam! Just do a test on some short clips. Also make sure that the ProRes sequence you are using is 1080 25p.

What model of Mac do you have, by the way?