DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old July 28th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #1
Major Player

photos perfect for montages

Hi all. I'm doing photo montages using FCP, and cleaning the images in Photoshop. Sometimes, no matter what I do in Photoshop (and I'm pretty good at Photoshop, BTW), pictures look really bad with motion. Jaggies, specially in motion shots. It looks good in the viewer, but when I export it it looks awful! I'm using Compressor to export in Mpeg2 (m2v) with the "60 minute high quality widescreen" setting.

Any advice? Tips? Best Practices?

Thanks much!
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 07:20 PM   #2
Major Player

A.J.,

Welcome to the board.

I get my worst results in adding motion to images when there are horizontal lines like window shades, etc. To knock it down, though, I take out the blur brush in photoshop and put it on maybe 15% and blur those areas out a bit. When you look at the still you don't like it so much, but when you are moving it in video you really can't tell that it's blurred.

Horizontal lines are the worst, but I do it for others too. Play around with it and see if it helps. Good luck.
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #3
New Boot

I would also try using a guassian blur filter @ about .1 intensity, and/or a de-interlace filter. That usually helps me in these situations.

But the blur in photoshop might be your best bet.

hope that helps
John Stromme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #4
Major Player

I always add FCP's Gaussian Blur filter with a radius of 0.25 to highish resolution (around 2K x 1.5K pixels) stills on the timeline. This deals well with suppressing the line twitter in moving/zooming/rotating stills.
Martin Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 09:19 AM   #5
Major Player

thanks for the tips guys! the horizontal lines are really what's been at the root of the problem... i think i have a handle on it now, thanks to y'all.
A.J. Briones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite