DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   Can't burn BD on LG BE06 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/485490-cant-burn-bd-lg-be06.html)

Hugh Raggett September 30th, 2010 11:33 AM

Can't burn BD on LG BE06

There has to be a simple solution to this - what am I doing wrong?

Created very short edit in FCP7 and went to share - burn BD. Loaded LG with new Memorex BD-RE 25GB disc. Process went fine until the message 'Error creating your disc. Please see if your boot volume has sufficient space.' Well, then I made a self-contained QT movie from the same seq and it weighed in at 351Mb. So tried loading that into DVD Studio Pro with self-same result. Then tried burning BD in Toast and along came the message ''Couldn't set up the track for writing'.
Now wondering if the problem lies with the disc? All help appreciated.

Chris Soucy September 30th, 2010 07:51 PM

Uh, Hugh.................

This may sound like a really dumb question, but has that BE06 optical drive ever actually worked on your system?

I only ask as my reading of the manual indicates operation with Windows systems only, NOT with Apple systems, which I infer you are on, as this is a FC question.

Similarly, there are firmware/ driver downloads available for that unit but only for Windows XP and Vista.

Can't quite square this particular circle (or am I just having [another] senior moment?).

CS

Hugh Raggett October 1st, 2010 01:59 AM

You are right Chris in thinking it's advertised as being windows only - but in fact it works fine with Mac for many people and I've burnt standard DVD's many times - BUT this is the first time i've tried to burn BD (which works for other mac users too, usually for storing archive stuff) - I just wonder if I should try other brands of discs.....or of course change the burner !! ....

Chris Soucy October 1st, 2010 02:25 PM

Well..............

having slept on it, a thought.

Assuming it is a BE 06LU10 and not a 11 (don't ask me what the difference is, stuffed if I can see one having compared their respective manuals side by side from start to finish!), there is a firmware/ driver update for it that MIGHT sort your problem.

Quite HOW the unit works with Mac OS has me puzzled, I can only assume it's running on Intel architecture and the OS mimics Windows functionality, thus must use drivers in a similar fashion.

Check out the LG web site, see how to perform a firmware/ driver upgrade and check if your unit could use the YE05 download.

Nothing to lose but a bit of time.

CS

Hugh Raggett October 2nd, 2010 04:44 AM

Right again Chris!

Yep - could do with that update - downloaded it but get message 'can't open with this application'. What the app. was I have no idea! Maybe because it's a windows update and not Mac? Any ideas? Perhaps I should just go and buy a LaCie that's Mac compatible...
Thanks for your wonderful input and research too - really kind. Did you get any probs. from the 'quake? We have many good friends in NZ. Love the place!

Chris Soucy October 2nd, 2010 01:37 PM

Bugger.................

I was afraid that might happen.

LG have a dedicated firmware/ driver update app which I guess was/ is written for PC/ Windows and simply won't run on a Mac OS.

Looks like it's a LaCie then.

But then again..............do you know anyone with a PC? Simply transfer the drive to a PC, do the download, do the update and transfer the drive back to the Mac.

Bugger all good to you if it's a driver update and not firmware, but it reads on the web site like firmware, gotta be worth a try.

As my knowledge of Mac's could be written on the back of a postage stamp in very large letters I can't begin to say "how to" if it's a driver issue, tho' somehow I don't think it is, as USB is a sort of universal interface.

The quake did wake the missus, tho' I managed to slumber serenely on regardless.

It put a nice hairline crack in a brand new concrete block retaining wall we'd just had built and rendered (at vast expense, I may add), which didn't go down too well.

Not bad considering the epicentre is a 5 hour drive North from here!

CS

Hugh Raggett October 2nd, 2010 02:36 PM

...worth a try

Hey yes, great idea. I have a computer whizz-guy down the road with PC and Mac and a shop! Get back to you after the w/e - aah, you've probably finished that by now!

Chris Soucy October 4th, 2010 02:20 PM

I guess.........................

things aren't going exactly to plan at that end?

Do keep us posted.

CS

Hugh Raggett October 5th, 2010 03:02 PM

...up and running!

Yes, things have gone just fine over here. Except monday is always a closed shops day in France - so only able to get down there this afternoon (Tuesday). The friendly PC/Mac guy then updated the optical drive to latest version and wow - came back, did a 'Share' to burn a blu-ray disc (albeit very short) and bingo, turned out fine! So thanks a bundle for your input Chris.
Be interesting to know how to burn a 1.5 hr final cut to disc and how long the process might take (all night?) All part of the learning curve I guess!

Chris Soucy October 5th, 2010 03:14 PM

Great stuff.....................

Good to hear it's sorted.

With any luck it's helped some other Mac users out as well, can't believe this is a totally unusual problem.

Happy BD'ing!

CS