DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Scratches on Discs after burning

I'm working with a new iMac. The first disc I burned has 4 videos and 1 slideshow. The slideshow had a little problem with regard to a flicker that was appearing in the transition from one photo to the other. I really didn't notice any other problem at all with the rest of the videos. However, on turning the disc over, saw that it had several scratch marks in one area and a straight line of marks in another area that looks like a miniature bar code.

Thinking that the disc had the scratches, I burned another one. Turned it over to make sure it was perfect first, and it was. Now that I burned the videos again, the exact scratches are coming out exactly the same way. And there's a problem with the slideshow on that one too.

What do I do now?? Why is it scratching the discs?!
Attached Thumbnails
Scratches on Discs after burning-p9140350.jpg   Scratches on Discs after burning-p9140349.jpg  

Helen Habib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:10 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Thought the pics could've been edited. Here the images show the kind of scratches I'm seeing. The one at left is the 'bar code' type scratches and the one on the right are long scratches.
Attached Thumbnails
Scratches on Discs after burning-dvd1.jpg   Scratches on Discs after burning-dvd2.jpg  

Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The key word is NEW. Contact Apple and get it sorted under warranty.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Scratches on disk

I would have Apple replace the Dvd drive. I have a Sony notebook that started doing the same thing. It would scratch the Discs while reading them. I had it fixed and no more problems. At least for notebook Dvd/Cd drives I think these are ok for reading but lousy at Writing. I just use an external USB drive to burn disks. I tried writing/copping DVDs on my sisters iMac a 2005 computer and I kept getting errors.

John Gerard
John Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thank you for your replies. :-) Yes, it's still under warranty. I'm kinda surprised that the iMac turned out this problem so early in the game. I've already had to call them and get some software things sorted out after purchasing. Anyway, nothing's perfect, and it's a great system.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:32 PM   #6
Inner Circle

That's a mechanical defect in the drive. Have it replaced.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Will do. Thanks.
Helen Habib is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite