Internal hard drive for new Mac Pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Internal hard drive for new Mac Pro

I want to buy a second hard drive for my new Mac Pro: should it be the same brand as the drive the Mac shipped with? On my old G5 Quad I ran a WDC (I guess Western Digital) and Maxtor drive and never had an issue. I won't be using the second drive for editing (media) but for storage.
For my eSata RAID tower I remember Seagate Barracuda's being recommended. If I can use any internal drive, which one would you recommend?
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Hey Jeroen,
A wise man said "All drives fail... it's just a matter of when". No doubt you have (like me) googled for hours and found that no one drive remains a favourite for long - everyone has horror/love stories with all the major brands. So all I can suggest is what ever you choose, don't trust it! RAID 1 is an affordable option that will spread your exposure over multiple physical drives, so a couple of 2TB WD green drives will cost you $125 each and will do the job (Note the greens are a bit slower than some drives but fine for storage). Lots of info about RAID out there :-) but that's my 2c worth.

Charles
Charles Wannop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 02:08 AM   #3
Major Player

I've never had a drive fail on me in the what -15 years I've been using computers (I don't remember if it was an Atari or a 386 or something else. My first PC was definitely pre-Windows and I had the little Apple all in one as well)-up until the point that I bought a RAID tower 2 years back to protect myself against data loss and one of the four drives crashed within a few months...
Do I need a RAID card to stripe my internal drives, is a software RAID adequate (if so, what software?) or should I just do an automatic backup from one internal drive to another on a daily basis?
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The Apple system profiler will let you get the model number of your current drives. Searching that will show you where you can get identical drives.

If you want to pursue others, look closely and you will see various manufacturers have more expensive "Enterprise" class drives. These are for servers (longevity). I've had good luck and long life from them. I've lost Raids too much, don't require the performance and am no longer a fan of them. I JBOD my internal and external drives. YMMV.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Carbonite?
Old October 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Internal RAID

My MacPro shipped with a Hitachi HD - no problems so far (but see previous comment).
You can set up a mirrored (RAID 1) array with Disk Utility.

C
Charles Wannop is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite