Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old August 1st, 2005, 05:57 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Faking a Glass Window - How?

Hello,

Thanks for reading.

I'm editing a short film I shot over the weekend in FCP. In one of the scenes, my talent (actually, myself) stands in front of a window. I had a shot THRU the window (that is, from the balcony, outside). From the moment I shot it, I imeediatley suspected that the footage would be unusable, and just to be sure, removed the window and repeated the shot WITHOUT the glass, hoping that I would somehow be able to fake it in post.

That is the nature of my question: Is there any technique/plugin/trick to FAKE a glass window reflection in front of my character? The shot is a static medium shot, from a tripod, camera tilted up.

Thanks for any help,

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hugh.

That depends on what you want to see reflected. If you have a shot of what is supposed to be reflected in the window, simply layer it over the shot, reverse the image, and increase the transparency. If it's a static shot, you don't have to worry about matching any sort of movement.

Won't be perfect, but it might get what you want.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

richard,

Many thanks for your answer - sometimes the simplest solution is indeed the best one. I'll probably try it with an overcast sky, as I wanted to reflect the clouds. Maybe messing around with transparency and color will produce some usable results.

My concern was with the natural reflections the glass produces. Let's see how it works.

Hugo
Hugo Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:41 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The following clip has a faked reflection and may be of interest:

http://www.bluecoremedia.com/movieclips.html

At :22, look at the reflection in the glass.
Originally I thought the effect was achieved by rotating a polarizer, but that's not it because there's a real reflection and then the fake reflection.

The reflection was also likely motion tracked... notice the camera movement.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite