FCP: Compression of ProRes file for Web short movie contest due 11/1st at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 25th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Major Player

FCP: Compression of ProRes file for Web short movie contest due 11/1st

Hi there,

I am about to participate on this 'Michael Bay' Sprint's contest which asks for an 'Epic' 30 seconds movie.

I've done mine already with my 7D set to 1080p24p (16:9). The problem is that I need to make a file smaller than 20mb in order to being able to upload it to their Youtube site. Last nigh I tried all of the Compressor template settings I can imagine and I wasn't able to make a HD file lower than 20 mb. I can make a 7mb file with one of the settings, but it looks awful. I believe it is 320x240. Just looks really bad.

That 20 megabytes limit is a true pain. But there is nothing I can do about, which is a weird because most movies already uploaded look really HD nice even tough other people complain about the 20mb limit.

At any rate, any recommendation on how to compress my movie with the highest quality to make a 30 seconds ProRes onto a 20mb or less file?

Very much appreciate your input and advice!!

Kind Regards ^_^
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Use the preset in the Quicktime section of Compressor's Apple Presets. CLick the icon that makes a new one from an existing one and change the video resolution to 1280x720 and around 1600 data rate. Use multi-pass.

Take the default for Audio

In the filters section, you may want to add a Gamma filter and tweak it if you feel the result is too dark or washed out.
Attached Thumbnails
FCP: Compression of ProRes file for Web short movie contest due 11/1st-screen-shot-2010-10-25-1.52.53-pm.png  
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Les

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Use the preset in the Quicktime section of Compressor's Apple Presets. CLick the icon that makes a new one from an existing one and change the video resolution to 1280x720 and around 1600 data rate. Use multi-pass.

In the filters section, you may want to add a Gamma filter and tweak it if you feel the result is too dark or washed out.

Les,

Thanks very much for this tip. I will try it out when I get home tonight.

And thanks much for the screenshot!!

Best Regards :)
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Hey Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post

Just to confirm with you and let you know that that did the trick.

Thanks very much Les!
Ben Tolosa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite