DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Final Cut Suite (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/)
-   -   best Quicktime codec from PC.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/final-cut-suite/486642-best-quicktime-codec-pc.html)

Gerald Webb October 26th, 2010 01:05 AM

best Quicktime codec from PC....

hey guys, I need to deliver a small project Ive done to a TV station,
they have requested it as a .mov,
its about 90 sec of Cineform Neoscene 720p,
so, i can easily give them H.264 (easy to upload too), but if I wanted to give them a better quality codec which should I use?
I tried 10bit uncompressed, but it is 5.5 Gb and they need it by tomorrow morning. my internet here only uploads about a Mb a min.
so as a final Cut user what would you like to receive?

Dominik Seibold October 26th, 2010 05:55 AM

H.264 is not a low-quality codec, but a high efficiency codec. With H.264 you will always get the lowest bitrate for a given quality level (and this quality can be as high as thinkable).

Perrone Ford October 26th, 2010 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Webb (Post 1582260)
so as a final Cut user what would you like to receive?

As a FCP editor well versed in working with PC's, I'd like to receive and Avid DNxHD file. Outside of that, maybe motion JPEG. FCP isn't exactly the codec king. It really likes ProRes. And that's not available to PC users, so anything else is something of a kludge.

Arnie Schlissel October 26th, 2010 07:50 AM

You need to ask someone at the station. Someone on the engineering or post production staff can tell you what they will and wont' accept.

Gerald Webb October 26th, 2010 01:26 PM

thanks guys,
last night I ended up converting the cineform to quicktime 10 bit yuv on the PC,
then split it in 2 to get it on a thumb drive, put it on an imac, converted to prores,
and then finally hit the yousendit button and went to bed......
woke up this morn and it had failed at 88%, :(
So now I have to quickly send them at least a crappy h.264 version for their presentation this morning, and then the prores later.

Nice to here from you Perrone, dont see you much around the Vegas forum anymore, are you still using Edius as well, or did you change to FCP exclusively?

Perrone Ford October 26th, 2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Webb (Post 1582260)
Nice to here from you Perrone, dont see you much around the Vegas forum anymore, are you still using Edius as well, or did you change to FCP exclusively?

I moved to Avid. Still use Vegas for quick and dirtys... Got a project in it right now for proofing before I do the real one in Avid.

William Hohauser October 27th, 2010 06:37 AM

Can a Premier or Edius user easily export an Avid DNxHD file? Right now I am recommending AVI Motion JPEG for all the PC producers who are sending files to me. h.264 is useful, small and can look great but the quality varies from source to source.

Jeremy Doyle October 27th, 2010 09:00 AM

Oops, just saw that the original post said it's coming from PC. As ProRes is only a decoder for PC that really won't work. I agree that Avid DNxHD would be best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perrone Ford (Post 1582328)
As a FCP editor well versed in working with PC's, I'd like to receive and Avid DNxHD file. Outside of that, maybe motion JPEG. FCP isn't exactly the codec king. It really likes ProRes. And that's not available to PC users, so anything else is something of a kludge.

A decoder for ProRes on a PC has been available for quite some time. It works great.

Apple ProRes QuickTime Decoder 1.0 for Windows

The Avid DNxHD also works well.

Perrone Ford October 27th, 2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1582704)
Can a Premier or Edius user easily export an Avid DNxHD file?

Yes. It's the same as outputting any other .MOV file.

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1582704)
Right now I am recommending AVI Motion JPEG for all the PC producers who are sending files to me. h.264 is useful, small and can look great but the quality varies from source to source.

AVI is fine. I like DNxHD because it's available in any NLE that can read and write a .MOV, it moves from PC <-> Mac seamlessly, it's quality is similar to ProRes, and it's absolutely free. It also supports an alpha channel which many other codecs do not.

William Hohauser October 27th, 2010 11:52 AM

Thanks, I'm updating my delivery specs right now!

Perrone Ford October 27th, 2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Hohauser (Post 1582811)
Thanks, I'm updating my delivery specs right now!

Read the whitepaper and familarize yourself with the codec:

http://www.avid.com/static/resources...ents/DNxHD.pdf

William Hohauser October 29th, 2010 02:59 PM

As long as the encoding codecs are free, AVID DNxHD seems like a good way for PC/Mac video file compatibility.