DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old October 31st, 2010, 06:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Final Cut can't open, "Quartz" error?

I've been using FCP for years, and suddenly started seeing this error preventing Final Cut from opening: "Final Cut can't open without a Quartz compatible graphics card" (or something to that extent).
It's the latest version of FCP and it's on a Mac Pro with snow leopard. When I get this error I just restart the computer and then it opens fine! This problem just started happening out of the blue. Is there something wrong with the computer all of the sudden? Anyone ever seen this?
Aric Mannion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Major Player

"Quartz extreme capable video card" that's what the error says. then it opens fine when I restart the computer. It's happening more and more.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 10:18 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I had this issue before I upgraded to 10.6. My Mac Pro at home would open up just fine without snow leopard (4 core), but my E2008 macbook pro mobile editing laptop stopped working with FCS from time to time with the Quartz error. I had attributed it to not being connected to the internet ( I know that sounds odd) but when I was logged into my Time Capsule it would boot fine, then when disconnected, Quartz error. I upgraded to 10.6 after seeing 10.7 announced and now I never receive the Q error. What OS version are you running? what is a little more information about your computer?
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Major Player

mac pro 8-core 10.6.4
Flash in Safari while online crashes all the time too. I wonder if it's related.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 04:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I know it sounds odd, but FCS does connect to the internet when being used, maybe its related to that.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite