Should I Use a USB hub or Firewire hub for my external hard drive? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Final Cut Suite
Discussing the editing of all formats with FCS, FCP, FCE

Old November 20th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Should I Use a USB hub or Firewire hub for my external hard drive?

My Mac Mini has only one firewire 800 port. It is currently dedicated to importing from a Sony HC1.

I'll be adding an external hard drive to be used as a dedicated media drive. If I use a firewire hub the camera and the hard drive will be fighting for the single port when they both need it the most.

Any idea if I'll have better luck with a dedicated USB port for the hard drive, or to share the single firewire port?
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Major Player

Firewire will have a better time handling the distribution of bandwidth. USB is too slow, especially if you have multiple drives all running on USB. USB allocates bandwidth differently than Firewire does, making multiple actions on the same USB bus slower than the same actions on a Firewire bus.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You probably don't need a hub. Just loop the camera through the external drive. I have an iMac which had a Belkin hub until it started to go bad. I took the hub off and haven't had an issue with DV or HDV capture with the decks looped into the FireWire800 drive.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Trustee

A single firewire connection should have no trouble with two streams like this. You can pass up to 400mbit through firewire (burst) and sustain 350mbit or so. If your video is coming in at (say) 25-50mbit and that is being written to disk then you are well within the limits.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite