Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
It's no problem Jay.

Thanks Boyd!
Jay Voog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #17
Major Player

[QUOTE=Jay Voog] So are you saying that only PSD files created in version 3.0 will import as sequences?

I took this to mean that all versions will import multi layers, but is the the layer properties such as opacity that must be supported by version 3, my version 8 works fine. Also I tried uninstalling photoshop to see if that made a difference but the files still came into FCP as a sequence. There must be some setting that affects this I'll keep looking!
Old August 4th, 2005, 04:43 PM   #18
Wrangler

Back when I was still using FCP 3 I ran into a bunch of problems with stills when I used the wrong version of Quicktime. I wonder if it could be related to that? Are you using the version of Quicktime Pro which came with your FCP 5 install disks?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have Quicktime Player 7.0.1 and FCP 5.0.2 (recently updated).

I had an Apple re-seller (where I bought my FCP system) do all my setups and installs so I am guessing this is what all came together.

By the way, thanks for the time and effort with this...it is so appreciated!
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Below is a link of a guy who seems to have the same problem...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we....5@.68b39637/0
Old August 6th, 2005, 08:12 PM   #21
Major Player

Try this: click on the icon on your Mac, right click-get info and change the "Opens with" to Photoshop. Check that you have Read and Write permissions while you're in there too.
Old August 7th, 2005, 02:04 PM   #22
Major Player

Hi Jay and friends

Here is my 2 cents...

Have been editing a rather substantial wedding video and have run into the same confusion - clips vs stills. Just so you know, I have FCP 4.5 HD and Abobe Photoshop Elements. I did alot of photography for the couple as part of the project and wanted to import stills into the video to add some nice flair.

When I started converting the files, I really wanted just clips and kept getting actual sequences. After some trial and error (and still not completely sure of what I was doing)...came to these basic differences in this process.

For a sequence:

Open an original full size jpeg image in PSE

Duplicate the image (so I don't wreck the original)

Crop and size this image to 72dpi @ 720px X 540px

Go to Layer> New layer FROM BACKGROUND> (name it) > click OK

Go to Select> All

Go to Select> Save Selection > (name it) > click OK

Go to Select> Load Selection > click OK

Save as> imagename.psd

(Do not "flatten image") Import the file into FCP

This process has created a sequence for me every time

For a clip, I noticed the process has a couple of differences:

Open an original full size jpeg image in PSE

Duplicate the image

Crop and size this image to 72dpi @ 720px X 540px

Go to Layer> NEW LAYER > (name it) > click OK (NOT new layer from background)

Go to Select> All

Go to Select> Save Selection > (name it) > click OK

Go to Select> Load Selection > click OK

Go to layer> Flatten the image

Save as> imagename.psd

Perhaps some of this info will work for you. I hope so.

Best wishes!

Brad
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2005, 02:21 PM   #23
Wrangler

Bradley, you're running the exact same software as I am and basically your results agree with mine but it seems like you're jumping through a lot of extra hoops! I have observed the basic principle:

A psd file with more than one layer opens as a sequence
A psd file with only one layer opens as a clip

Not sure why you go through all the trouble of creating a multi-layer file and then flattening it to create a clip, unless you're doing something on the other layers in Photoshop?

For that matter, if you're starting out with a JPEG file to begin with, why bother to convert it to PSD at all? FCP will open JPEG's as clips by themselves.

However, Jay says he's having a different problem which is related to FCP 5 and a newer version of photoshop.

Jay, I looked at that thread you linked to on Apple's site. Is that your situation? If so then you neglected to tell us that you were using files created in the Windows version of photoshop. That seems to be the problem he's having, and he notes that if he opens the file in the Mac version of photoshop, then does a "save as," it works fine in FCP. So - at least in the thread on Apple's site - the lesson is that FCP won't open files created in the Windows version of Photoshop as sequences. That would be a problem with Adobe's implementation of their file format across different platforms, and not a problem with FCP.
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #24
Major Player

Thanks Boyd

I'm not sure why I am jumping through all those hoops either...lol. Though I suspected as much.

Your point is quite clear...and much appreciated.

While not veering too far off topic, I am curious... when importing jpeg clips, do you bother de-interlacing? I have had some instances where I needed to do that for pictures and I believe it was the odd fields. However, whatever it is that I have been doing thus far does not seem to require that additional work.

Best wishes!

(and always learning the hard way)
Brad
Bradley L Marlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 05:05 AM   #25
Wrangler

Bradley: sorry, I missed your post. I don't think there's any reason to deinterlace an imported still. If you do you'll be throwing away half of the information (duplicating every other scan line). Sometimes fine details can make stills look "jittery" on an interlaced screen. You can try clicking the motion blur box in the viewer if that's the case and see if it helps.
Old August 17th, 2005, 05:08 AM   #26
Wrangler

Jay, I realize this is an old thread, but in case you're still following (and for the benefit of anyone else), I think I've found an answer to your problem over on Apple's site.

Your photoshop files must be saved as 8 bits per channel. If you save them as 16 bits per channel they'll import as a flattened file.
Old August 19th, 2005, 09:00 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Hi Boyd...
Thanks for your continued help with this bizarre situation...
I have them as 8 bits, like you described...still come in as graphic files.

I have come to the conclusion that the reason these don't import as sequences is that I don't have Photoshop on my Mac. I am actually looking to purchase Photoshop to have on the Mac. On that same note, just wondering if you have heard about OEM software. I am just wondering if you or anyone else has looked into these...they seem pretty affordable (only lacking a manual). Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jay
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:10 PM   #28
Wrangler

Are you talking about those offers to sell you Photoshop for ridiculous prices like $50? Come on now, you know better than to fall for something like that, right?

FWIW, I don't have Photoshop either and I don't have problems like yours. I do own Photoshop Elements however. If you don't need all the high powered Photoshop features then this program is a real bargain. I have version 2 however; they just released a new version and I haven't looked at that yet but fear they may be making it more "consumery." That's the direction they seem to be headed... back in the Photoshop LE days the program looked pretty much the same but without some menu items. Then they discontinued it and replaced with Photoshop Elements.

Regardless, if you think your problem is related to Photoshop then all I can say is that it works for me with Photoshop Elements....
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #29
Major Player

Jay, I think you are right, when I bring PSD files created on a window Photoshop onto my computer they open in Preview by default, and come into FCP as one layer. To fix this I open them in Photoshop on my Mac or just go to Get Info open with Photoshop. I guess you can't choose open with Photoshop if you don't have it.
Old August 19th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #30
Wrangler

Yes, compatability issues with the Windows version of Photoshop are discussed above, but Jay didn't say these were created under Windows.

Or are you saying that in the absence of Photoshop the Mac thinks these are flat files created in Preview? That's an interesting thought which never occurred to me! If true then it's an oversight on Apple's part not to mention that Photoshop must be installed on your machine.

I'm sure there's a straightforward way to manually change the file creator info to Photoshop using Terminal however, or probably even easier to do with some shareware application. If you're right on this, then that should make FCP happy.

I'll leave this as an "exercise for the reader" to try :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Apple / Mac Post Production Solutions > Final Cut Suite